Flaws in HiBoost Kit!

:
2003.5 Blazing Yellow MSP (Forged)
I found something that really disappointed me today. While using a smoke machine to test for vac/boost leaks I noticed a very small trickle of smoke coming from directly below the BPV. I felt round on the bottom side of the pipe and found that the smoke was coming right out of the pipe itself! I took the pipe off to take a closer look and found a flaw in the casting of the aluminum that basically is a hole/crack in the pipe itself. There is nothing that could have scaped or hit the pipe either. It is definitely a flaw in the aluminum. I will take pics but I didn't have a camera on me at the time. I used a lil jb weld to cover the spot for the time being (you can't see it unless you take the pipe off because it's facing straight down). Sometime this week I'm going to take the pipe off and take it over to the welders to fix it.

I would b**** and moan about this more, but I don't think it's worth the time & effort. I figure I can have it fixed for next to nothing and have it back the same day, so I might as well just do that. I don't really want to have to ship the pipe out and wait for a replacement, ya know. It just kind of bothers me that things aren't inspected better before they are sold...

Last edited:
i have the same kit, thank god i didnt have that problem....

but your definately right, it should have been inspected..

dirtysouth_msp said:
I found something that really disappointed me today. While using a smoke machine to test for vac/boost leaks I noticed a very small trickle of smoke coming from directly below the BPV. I felt round on the bottom side of the pipe and found that the smoke was coming right out of the pipe itself! I took the pipe off to take a closer look and found a flaw in the casting of the aluminum that basically is a hole/crack in the pipe itself. There is nothing that could have scaped or hit the pipe either. It is definitely a flaw in the aluminum. I will take pics but I didn't have a camera on me at the time. I used a lil jb weld to cover the spot for the time being (you can't see it unless you take the pipe off because it's facing straight down). Sometime this week I'm going to take the pipe off and take it over to the welders to fix it.

I would b**** and moan about this more, but I don't think it's worth the time & effort. I figure I can have it fixed for next to nothing and have it back the same day, so I might as well just do that. I don't really want to have to ship the pipe out and wait for a replacement, ya know. It just kind of bothers me that things aren't inspected better before they are sold...

I got my kit second hand... one of the pipes behind the bumper was too short and now I noticed that the bracket that attaches to the engine bay broke it's weld from the pipe. Not a big deal but still...

Wow, I would have never thought that there was so many problems with the hiboost kits. I have only heard great things before.

I don't regret buying it at all, but I've just been running into a few different problems with some of the aftermarket parts I gotten lately. For example, my AWR oil pan is now leaking ever so slightly from where themounting surface is welded to the rest of the oil pan. There are like 2 very small places where it is leaking a little at the seam/welded area. I guess that will have to come back off and get rewelded also. It is just frustrating when you spend the extra loot for an "upgrade" and have to fix the s*** before it is as good as stock.(bang) (bang) (bang) (bang) (bang)

Yeah man I hear ya. The awr oil pan is a nice ungrade. I want to get it but it will have to wait.

kamon8404 said:
Wow, I would have never thought that there was so many problems with the hiboost kits. I have only heard great things before.

the pipe being short is a known issue. many people have had this problem. too bad they wont fix it...

mspHtown said:
the pipe being short is a known issue. many people have had this problem. too bad they wont fix it...
Wow...a buddy of mine JUST asked me about the HiBoost kit...

CantCMe said:
Wow...a buddy of mine JUST asked me about the HiBoost kit...

easy fix...buy a longer coupler. however, i find it frustrating to pay a grand for a kit and have to buy extra pieces to make it work.

Back