fitment issues with headlight bulbs

Oldmacnut

:
03 protege 5
Before I blacked out my lights I had some leveling and fitment issues with my Silverstars. They never seemed to clip in place properly on the low beam side.

When Matt and I did our headlights I got a good look at not only his bulbs, but the clips to.

Last night I drove the car at night for the first time since doing the lights, and noticed they were pointing almost straight up, had to use high beams to get home.

I remember seeing a bit of black plastic on the stock bulbs that give the metal clips a firmer gripe on the bulb in the housing, my silverstars do not have this, and therefore wiggle in the housing alot, the previous owner had obviously had HID's in the car in the past as the wiring was all hacked up (I put in a new harness this weekend) and had the clips cut off.

So, the question is, how do I fixed fitment issues with the bulbs? they dont fit snug, they fit in the hole fine, notch goes in the right spot, they just dont stay put. I am so frustrated right now with the headlight fiasco.

That bit of black plastic you are referring to, did it look like it was part of the bulb? I ask as a lot of people don't realize that you need to remove that from your old bulbs and swap it to your new bulbs before installing them.

Yup... You need that black spacer plug for the headlights to sit properly in the housing. I had to take the bulb out of the car to show a guy at the parts store becuase none of the bulbs looked right... He said, oh, see this black plug, it pulls off, you have to keep that for the lights to plug in and sit right.

The car came with what looks like Silverstars, so no it was not included.

I felt like I needed those parts after looking at Matt's bulbs, gonna have to call Mazda now.

yup, without that black plastic little plug, the headlights don't sit in right, in effect pointing skyward

We just had this same problem with a buddies 03 Nissan Maxima with OEM HID's

His bulbs didn't seat properly pointing straight up.

That little plug is only a few bucks at your local dealership

i've got a set as well i can have out in the mail tomorrow

they're just sitting in my box of bulbs

nah, sorry bud.

Looks like a trip to the dealership is in your near future. lol

Back