First world problems: MZ5 native Bluetooth + Samsung Rugby 4 phone = flakiness!

:
2012 Mazda5 Touring; 2016 Mazda3 Sport
So three years ago I neither knew nor cared whether anything had Bluetooth technology. Then I bought my '12 Mazda5 Touring, which comes from the factory with Bluetooth, and it turned out it worked really well, making and taking calls reliably, and even pausing and restarting a paused audio track in the same spot (especially useful for mp3 audiobooks), every single time, even after I'd shut off the car and come back out the next day. At least, this is how it works with my old phone (a Motorola Tundra VA76R).

And ... well ... I got a new phone Friday, and with this phone, a Samsung Rugby 4, the Bluetooth connection with the car just won't work right. It has a static sound when playing music over the Bluetooth. Sometimes it starts a paused track at the paused point, sometimes it starts it back at the beginning, and sometimes the phone selects a different track all on its own. One out of four or five tries, it even starts a paused track playing over the phone speaker as soon as I turn on the car. It even, on the first or second day I had it, failed to connect a phone call to the car speakers. It also takes quite a few seconds to hang up a call when I push the hangup button on the steering wheel - the other phones I've connected to the car hang up pretty much instantly. So basically, this phone is just about worthless, and even a dangerous distraction, when connected to this car's Bluetooth. I still really want to like it, since it's really, really good in most other ways, and there's not much selection in a rugged flip phone these days.

The phone manufacturer's troubleshooting list started with " Please make sure that the Bluetooth profile of car stereo system matches the Bluetooth profile of the phone. We are continually updating the software on our devices to match the industry-wide standard. Occasionally this may cause compatibility problems with older devices that are not up to date. Your manufacturer might have an update to their equipment which could allow compatibility with our most recent Bluetooth version. " Ugh.

It took me two days to figure out how to get Bluetooth profiles for the devices, and I eventually tried connecting my computer to the phone and then to the car (!) and reading the "Service List". Maybe someone here knows what this stuff means.

Bluetooth Services for the car as a handsfree headset:

Audio Sink
Handsfree Telephony
Object Push (Obex)
Remote Control

Bluetooth services that my new phone has that are different from my old phone:

Audio/Video Service
MAP MAS-name 000
Serial port (SPP) 'Bluetooth Serial Port'

Bluetooth services that the old phone has that are different from the new phone:

Dial-up networking (DUN)
Imaging Responder
Stereo Audio

Bluetooth services that are the same for both phones:

File Transfer (Obex)
Handsfree Telephony Gateway
Headset Audio Gateway
Object Push (Obex)
Remotely Controllable Device

Any brilliant ideas whether this means anything, or am I best off returning the phone, reactivating my old phone that still works mostly right, and trying a different one some other time?

Last edited:
Nope, no worky. Menus just reset when I hit Submit.

I actually have an alternate URL ... it's infotainment.mazdahandsfree.com ... I got it today from a phone rep at a division called "Mazda Handsfree". AND, better still, it works!

Here's the rest of the story so far:

Today I tried calling my dealer general number for advice, and the switchboard person transferred me to Sales, who transferred me to Service, who said people with some sort of iPhone have been having issues and there might be some upgrade possibility and gave me a phone number for Mazda Customer Service. Customer Service asked some questions, said their testers hadn't tried my phone, and transferred me to Mazda Handsfree. They had me delete all my devices from the car, then delete the car from the phone, then repair, and suddenly everything started working, and working the same way every time! They also told me that there really aren't a lot of phones that are actually incompatible with their Bluetooth stuff - so who knows, maybe Samsung has worse luck with other car makers that they told me there might be an issue on the car end of things. Still, nice that someone was able to help me.

I found out that apparently the Handsfree team aren't so much technicians as a specialized troubleshooting team, and also that apparently the Bluetooth on the Mazda5 isn't able to be changed or upgraded without swapping out the actual physical Bluetooth computery module thingy - so if there's ever a recognized reason to change it, dealers will be having to swap out Bluetooth modules instead of someone somehow downloading software.

Last edited:
Back