First oil change with the new Mazda 0w20 GF-5 with moly - Improved MPG

500 miles and the oil is still golden. Must not be like EP Molly grease. Or a less amount.

Thanks for that. I actually picked up a spare quart from the dealership recently and it is surprisingly light in color. And I'm pleased to report my mileage appears to be rising significantly now that I'm on the second tank of fuel after the moly oil change even though about 50% of my driving has been pushing through heavy, slushy snow and puddled water. This has got to be bad for MPG because, when you drive into it you can feel the car slow down dramatically. But my MPG's are on the rise even though I'm driving the usual routes at similar speeds and in cold temperatures.

But the drop in MPG after the dealer oil change was very real. I'm thinking the service department may have left it idling for a while, reset something in the software or maybe the moly oil takes a while to "plate' the engine internals.

One thing I notice about the MPG is that sometimes after I make a brief stop mid-trip (less than 2-3 minutes) the MPG seems dramatically better as I continue on my journey. It's as if re-booting the computer while the engine is already hot can reset some parameters that are good for economy. It doesn't always do this but, when it does, the effect is rather dramatic.

The person at the parts counter asked if I bought the vehicle there (when I went in to buy a quart of the GF-5). I thought maybe they would give me a small discount but, no, it was over $9 with the sales tax! But for some reason they like to track sales to owners and recorded my purchase in their database associated with my name. What's up with that?

The person at the parts counter asked if I bought the vehicle there (when I went in to buy a quart of the GF-5). I thought maybe they would give me a small discount but, no, it was over $9 with the sales tax! But for some reason they like to track sales to owners and recorded my purchase in their database associated with my name. What's up with that?

sadly, anymore list price on parts often is a 'discount' as many dealers like to use inflated list prices or 'trade' prices for the walk in customer. So they may have given you a reduced price for buying your car there.

Marketing so they can track you. Lol. My mileage was good until the big drop in temperatures. This is normal. Snow, slush, cold, seat heaters and heater motor all reduce mileage. I've tracked gas mileage long before it was important. It has always been a game to me so to speak. In the winter, we use more gas per km driven. In the summer, we pay more per litre, but get farther on a tank. We as a public just notice it more now because the cars have gauges to tell us these things. In the summer fall months I was avg 6.5 to 7 liters per hundred km. Now I am running 9 to 10 . Mind you, most of that is short commute to work and city driving. (6 miles to work each way). I always reset the info button and trip A when I fill up. Let's me know if something is off. (I use trip b counter for oil changes).

I say keep giving your info, stick to one dealer. Get to know your parts guy. The more they see u buy from them the better chance for a discount.

Last edited:
Sorry, with shipping more than 14$/quart, that is a non-starter. I did not check shipping costs on your case price but if it's more than $14 dollars...

It is only $14 a qt if you only buy one quart and that is just silly, nobody buys just one and has it shipped. That makes no sense because there are minimum delivery charges from all delivery companies. You are only looking at about a 2 dollar increase in the shipping cost between shipping 1 quart and 6 quarts. I always look at it like if the grocery store is 20 miles away you don't just run there to buy a pack of gum, you get enough gum to get you by for awhile at the same time you buy other stuff.

We don't pad the freight charges but we do have to pay them ourselves.

I did point out that we have to charge shipping, I just threw it out there for people that might not want a full case or might want other items at the same time.

It is only $14 a qt if you only buy one quart and that is just silly, nobody buys just one and has it shipped. That makes no sense because there are minimum delivery charges from all delivery companies.

Fair enough but I entered 5 quarts and ground shipping still brought the price to $48.82. That's more than the $8.75/quart (plus tax) that my local dealer charges.

Fair enough but I entered 5 quarts and ground shipping still brought the price to $48.82. That's more than the $8.75/quart (plus tax) that my local dealer charges.

agreed, it doesn't work for everyone in every situation. The local dealer in the automall charges over $10 and I have to give up a lunch break to get there and back for it. Heck the autoparts stores here charge nearly 10 for the non-Mazda stuff in 0w20.

Anyone else having any noticeable difference after changing their oil with the Mazda MQ?

Nope.

What jumped out at me was that changing oil didnt make a noticable difference on how smooth the engine runs. Whenever I changed oil on past cars with Mobil 1 there was definitely a difference. Maybe someone can back me up on this slightly crazy notion... but it's like there's a break in period for this mazda moly oil. It could just be the engine breaking in further, but I changed oil at 3000 miles, the engine shouldve been broken in by then. I didnt see a difference at all at first from the first change, but then things improved. Any oil engineers here can explain that? Is it the moly bonding to engine parts?

I know this is an old thread, but I did another oil change today and I had 3 1/2 quart of the GF-5 with molly and one GF-5 without molly (part number ends on QT instead of MQ I believe). So it was cold outside early morning and I was pouring the oil in when I realized that the non Molly is not as liquid as the Molly. Even when shaking the bottles I could feel the difference. I remember when I was reading an year ago that the main advantage of the GF-5 with molly is that it is thin even when cold and I guess that is exactly what I felt.

Been rocking that Molly stuff since the OP and my average never drops below 32 MPG, its 33-34 during the summer. That's with 70/30 highway/city.

BGC - not a good idea to mix oil types or mfgs as some of the additives may conflict with each other. As you observed they are different...

...The thing that surprised me about the Mazda Moly oil is that it looks golden amber (like honey) on the dipstick. All other moly oil I've seen is black. Moly grease is black as well. So how does Mazda get rid of the black color in their moly oil? Anyone know?

Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2), used in grease, isn't the same moly used in motor oil. MoS2 isn't suitable for motor oil. Molybdenum dialkyldithiocarbamate (MoDTC) is used in motor oil and it's soluble and usually invisible in oil.

Old thread resurrection.... while I hope the Mazda moly will help maintain good MPG I am almost more interested in the anti-wear properties of having molybdenum in the Mazda oil.

Screen%20Shot%202014-11-26%20at%202.07.41%20PM.jpg

Last edited:
Back