first oil change and i have a question

lunchbox16

:
mazdaspped 3 2008
so i did my first oil change tonight. i wasn;t able to change it when i wanted so i did it at 3000.
so when i was draining the old oil the drain plug went in to the old oil. i fished it out but realized after i reinstalled it, changed the filter, and replaced the oil that i failed to replace the washer.
i see no oil leaking now but i'm freaking out. should i scrap the mobile1 i just put in and start over or can it go with out until the next oil change??????

i changed it at my father's house because i have no where to do it. i just got home and i noticed something on the pavement it looks wet but i can't tell if its from me. i live in a townhouse so plenty of other people.
either way i'm going to go look again. i'm just nervous

no this was a normal washer

If it's the washer on the drain plug, it's not a "normal" washer. It's a "crush" washer. They're usually made from a soft metal like aluminum or copper and they're designed to crush/compress a bit when you torque the drain plug down. This protects from you stripping the threads on the oil pan #1 and #2, it provides somewhat of a seal between the drain plug and the pan. I have never run without a washer before and can't say whether or not it's going to leak. I suspect that if you torqued down on the drain plug well enough, it probably won't leak, but not sure I'd take the chance. I have run with the same crush washer for tens of thousands of miles, over many oil changes and NEVER had a drain plug leak in multiple vehicles, so I think replacing it EVERY time you change the oil is over-rated. It's best to buy them in bulk at either an autoparts or hardware store vs getting them from a Mazda dealer and having them charge you $0.50-0.75 a piece for a $0.02 piece of a recycled Coke can. However, if you forgot to pick up a new one, don't sweat having to replace it every time you change the oil. I can guarantee Mazda doesn't consistently replace them every time they do oil changes.

i've had car in the past where i replaced them all the time and i've had cars in that never used them. mu concern is not how good ithe washer is my concern not having on on here now.

I have been with and without and had no problems on cars. As said earlier, if its not leaking, don't worry too much. Just keep an eye on it then put one on next time.

Back