FIPA names 2013 Mazda CX-5 'suv of the year for the americas'

That's great! The number of awards the CX-5 has received since it's introduction is truly outstanding. This may be baffling until one actually drives a CX-5. Specifications do not tell most of the story.

That's great! The number of awards the CX-5 has received since it's introduction is truly outstanding. This may be baffling until one actually drives a CX-5. Specifications do not tell most of the story.
Double edged sword. Makes one feel good about their purchase but will give the dealers a sense that they have something to sell that demands a premium.

All the accolades don't mean anything if the right driver is not paired with the right vehicle. The written words are no substitute for a test drive.

All the accolades don't mean anything if the right driver is not paired with the right vehicle. The written words are no substitute for a test drive.

True, like drivers who want to dart in/out of freeway traffic and generally drive in a sporty manner while expecting to do it all in sixth gear. These drivers would be shocked to drive a 1967 Camaro equipped with the PowerGlide 2-speed auto which would shift to first gear to perform a passing maneuver on the highway.

These drivers would be shocked to drive a 1967 Camaro equipped with the PowerGlide 2-speed auto which would shift to first gear to perform a passing maneuver on the highway.

The good old days...more car, less emission control crap.

Double edged sword. Makes one feel good about their purchase but will give the dealers a sense that they have something to sell that demands a premium.

I don't need auto industry insiders to "make me feel good about my purchase". I love the CX-5 for how it works, drives, feels and for it's fuel sipping nature. I do like the fact that industry insiders are signalling that Mazda is taking vehicle design in the right direction because I also believe that. No, I'm not concerned that it will cause them to sell for a premium, that simply insures mine will be easy to sell when the time comes and I'll be paid a fair price. And, it will cause other manufacturers to wake from their slumber and improve their offerings to compete.

I do hope you're joking...

In one way and not in another. What I really long for is to be able to set the gap on a set of points, adjust the the timing, play with the fuel/air mixture on a carburetor without running to a dealer every time an idiot light goes off on the dash. Oh yeah, and $.35/gal of gas.... You know, the good old days!

lol, good old days, been there done that, don't miss much of it, even with more road-hugging weight/more car.

btw - Who's the International Federation of Automotive Journalists?

Back