Figure this one out for me.

genericuser

Contributor
:
96 Miata M-Edition, 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch
So as you all know, I purchased a 96 m edition about a month ago.. Well the last two times I've driven it, I've noticed something odd. I'm not overly concerned because the car runs normally, I just want to figure out what is causing it.

So when I start the car up, things are normal. A few seconds later a rapid squeak will be audible. It isn't constant, and it isn't belt whine. It is a rapid squeak_squeak_squeak. It isn't valve tap, because I've heard that before and that sounds like someone is repeatedly dropping nickels into your engine.

Now the odd part is while the car is in gear or the clutch is fully engaged, this noise will go away...

Your thoughts, miata folk.

I just posted in the longest thread also about this and it's probably a throw out bearing aka clutch release bearing...

that's what I was thinking.. not a huge deal, but something I'd like to rectify.

how are things these days steve?

xtrememps said:
I just posted in the longest thread also about this and it's probably a throw out bearing aka clutch release bearing...

Had the same problem on my 90'.

Changed my clutch, throw out bearing, new fly wheel (1.8)... no more problems. No more squeaks.

I even went as far as to change my engine mounts.:p But after doing the clutch and alotted parts, the squeak disappeared.

Yeah, I'm not going to worry about it until it gets louder. The clutch still grabs like it needs to, and it still drives like a miata should.

seanmcsean said:
that's what I was thinking.. not a huge deal, but something I'd like to rectify.

how are things these days steve?

Things are pretty good! I'm still rocking the MSP with some mild mods. It's all paid off so I'm trying to mod it more heavily but I've been slowed down because of monetary issues (i'm starting my own real estate business).

What about you Sean? I'm glad to see you've got a Mazda again!

Things are going well. Been back in CT since March '06. Getting married next summer. I'm a homeowner now, which means I have a nifty 900 square foot garage below my house that I can call my own :)

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I'll agree that it sounds like a throwout bearing issue.

seanmcsean said:
which means I have a nifty 900 square foot garage below my house that I can call my own :)

That's awsome! I lived in an apartment, once, that was smaller than that, lol.

kcbhiw said:
That's awsome! I lived in an apartment, once, that was smaller than that, lol.

My first apartment was 700 square feet. My second apartment was 1000 square feet.

The left garage bay could probably fit two miatas lol.

I'm a homeowner now, which means I have a nifty 900 square foot garage below my house that I can call my own :)

Good job and congrads!
I miss having a garage to do all the work that needs to be done (in short.... my own "man cave" ). Unfortunately, living here in Las Vegas, you have to deal with annoiying HMO's!! I used to have a place with a garage, but sold it due to a lovely divorce and getting reactivated to go to the Middle East. Now I've been living in places without garages, but carports instead. I can't even rotate my tires without HMO freaking-out on me!!!!!

But come April next year, I'm relocating to Champange, Il., for a job with the local V.A. office there. Plus I'm hunting around for a house in the country with land, in order to have my own shop!!(nana)

Looking forward to getting out of this desert! I've had too much of it in my life already.

Back