Features/Options missing from my CX-9 :(

Finally, after driving my CX-9 around for a week I finally noticed a few things that are missing. Though, my only frame of reference is the last car I owned which was a 2002 Audi A4.

1. Auto-locking doors when in motion (My Audi had this, I think it was set to 10mph)

2. When making a phone call with Bluetooth or using the NAV voice commands, turn off the damn AC. (When I used my A4s Onstar, everything turned off so it was dead quiet in the cabin)

3. Storage space! Where is it? On a car this size I expect more as my center console is becoming a junk drawer. (My Audi Glove box was 5 times the size, I had drawers underneath each seat, console arm rest, and side door storage)

4. True Ipod Integration (not the kit they sell which just gives you just forward and rewind or the Aux port - yes several other threads have discussed this)

5. Full size spare, I hate these 10 speed bicycle tires

6. On-board computer (current estimated mpg, overall mpg, time driving, average speed, speed warning)

Feel free to add antything else I forgot.

Don't get me wrong I love the CX-9, I get compliments on it all the time, and have motivated others that were thinking of getting one for themselves. Bang for your buck, its definately #1. Also, I love the fact there aren't many out there.....yet.

1. Auto-locking doors when in motion (My Audi had this, I think it was set to 10mph)

Glad this is not on the CX-9, I have hatted this on other cars.

2. When making a phone call with Bluetooth or using the NAV voice commands, turn off the damn AC. (When I used my A4s Onstar, everything turned off so it was dead quiet in the cabin)

I would not want this as a feature, I don't want to sweat while making a call. I would just alter the air myself accordingly.

3. Storage space! Where is it? On a car this size I expect more as my center console is becoming a junk drawer. (My Audi Glove box was 5 times the size, I had drawers underneath each seat, console arm rest, and side door storage)

Agreed, but it is adequate and will force you to carry less crap.

4. True Ipod Integration (not the kit they sell which just gives you just forward and rewind or the Aux port - yes several other threads have discussed this)

Don't own and Ipod, haven't drunk the coolaid. Plugging in my generic mp3 player works fine for me.

5. Full size spare, I hate these 10 speed bicycle tires

In the last 15 years, I have only had to use a spare twice. It's not a big deal and you'll want a new tire or tires on as soon as possible. Also, I would rather have the weight savings.

6. On-board computer (current estimated mpg, overall mpg, time driving, average speed, speed warning)

Granted this would be a nice to have but in cars that I had with this, after the initial novelty, I never paid attention to the information.

Just wanted to provide another viewpoint on vehicle features. So far my major wants or needs.

I want a cargo mat made out of plastic/rubber with sides that covers the full area with the 3rd row seats down.

I want to auto load my address book from my blackberry.

I wanted memory seats that also auto adjusted the side view mirrors and steering column.

I guess that I could have gotten these on a Lexus but I also wanted to save $15,000 dollars.

1) Hate that feature wouldn't own a vehicle that had it.

2) Don't own a cell phone so I don't care, but I think it would irritate me if activating the bluetooth turned everything else off.

3) I don't want my wife to use our cars to store more junk then she already keeps around the house, so this is good. :)

4) Don't own an iPod and probably never will, so again I don't care. Even if I was into these gadgets I can't imagine basing my car buying decision on something like that.

5) Haven't had a flat tire in 15 years. With tire technology the way it is now the only way you should get a flat is having a sharp metal spike pierce it. 90% of vehicles come with a temp. spare, it's just a fact of life.

6) I do agree with this one. Although I'm not anal about keeping track of this stuff like some people it does seem ridiculous that our Mazda 3 GT has a trip computer and the CX-7/CX-9 don't.

I don't mean to pick on you by being so blunt, but I wanted to point out that there are just as many people who don't care about those first 5 as there are that do. None of those things you listed would factor into any of my vehicles buying decisions.

1. My sister's Corolla has that

2. Unless you always run your AC fan full blast, I do't think this is necessary. Why not turn off the engine as well.

3. Depends what you want to store. All I carry is my wallet, keys, cellphone and when with the family, a stoller and a diaper bag. If you want a spare shirt, 100 cd's, canned goods, a dozen sodas...you might need an RV instead.

4. Who would want to listen to compressed songs in a Bose system? Bose already sounds crappy (obviously I am not a fan), why make it worse?

5. Porsches don't use spare tires so I guess you'd hate those too.

6. I have this in my Legacy, I keep it in the outside temp default (which the CX9 has). You have fuel guage to tell you when to fill up and trip computers are inaccurate in measuring MPG. Best way is to fill the tank, reset the trip meter, use the car (300 miles or so), fill again, then measure. Once you know your MPG I doubt if you will deviate much from that.

The CX-9 can be programmed for auto-locking on the doors. Just ask your dealer. They may charge you a programming fee though, you can decide if it's worth it.

Agreed on the trip computer. So we got one of these: www.scangauge.com

Does so much more than any factory trip computer on any car I've ever seen, and it's a fun gadget to play with.

I don't mean to pick on you by being so blunt, but I wanted to point out that there are just as many people who don't care about those first 5 as there are that do. None of those things you listed would factor into any of my vehicles buying decisions.

These features (or lack of) arent going to ruin my 1st mazda experience, I think most of you fan boys misunderstood that (not saying you are one, but a couple of the responses I got are pretty harsh). I was more of less sharing a few things which I thought were missing. Like I said, I drove only my A4 for the past 5 years so thats what I am going off of and those are things I have become accustomed to.

And to WaxiP5, yes because Porsches and CX-9s are so similar in all respects...(scratch)

You also forgot they (Mazda) forgot to put in hydraulic lifts in the hood! For 40K we get HOOD PROPS!

Yup, no idea what happened there.

Also, when I actvate the alarm I would like all the lights to turn off regardless if the were manully set to on, hate walking away...set the alarm and realize my kid left the one in the back on.

And to WaxiP5, yes because Porsches and CX-9s are so similar in all respects...

Did I ever say they were?

When you get a flat, it does not matter whether you drive a Porsche or a Mazda or any other car. What is important is that you should be able to get going again with the least down time...be it a fix-a-flat canister, temp spare, or a full size spare (if you are really picky).

Last edited:
Back