feasability question for the gurus

joshyellomp3 said:
hey spoolin, sorry to bug you, but w/out the 1st cat, would my car still pass the cal smog? Also, what kind of cost would I be looking at for the kit that you were talking to blue-hotty about? Thanks for your help and time.

Josh

With one of the cats removed, you will fail visual inspection. Actually, without an EO, you're going to fail anyhow. It should be possible to pass a sniffer test, however.

There's a pretty big financial penalty for removing the cat on a street car. Just so you know.

Keith

spoolinmp3 said:

Here are a few things to take into consideration. The stage 1 and stage 2 kit are the same thing except for the manifolds. Stage 1 manifold is a shorty type. And stage 2 is a full length. The manifold that comes in the stage 2 allows for quicker spool up thus faster boost onset responce. I predict with a t28 and full tubular manifold you will realize full boost in the vicinity of 2400-2500 rpm. So if you are really concerned with responsivness you may want to take stage 2 into consideration.

As far as power. We have made some baseline runs and got 167 whp!! We are going to do so more runs but with the second cat in place. But the numbers should be similar. This is with our stage 1 non-intercooled kit.

As this becomes more of a reality, I want to change it up a bit more. Spoolin, with a Stage 3 kit and T25 turbo, what are your guesses as to full boost (5lb) by 2,000 rpm and achieving 160 max whp? Also, once it is tuned correctly, would I need to have a boost guage? (some new volvos and saabs don't) Do i have to reprogram the computer or upgrade the fuel pump or injectors with 5lb boost?

I would not be overly concerned with low rpm boost. A good properly sized turbo with a ball bearing centersection will get you good low rpm responsive and you will not sacrifice the turbo effeciency at higher rpms. I assure you, you will kick yourself later if you run a small T25 or T28. . . you can reach your goals with a nice sized T3, and still have decent high rpm turbo effeciency.

It's really all where you want the power...truth is some people just never take it to the redline. It's true though, that a good sized T3 would offer the best overall driveability when tuned.

Back