Fast glance identification

:
2018 CX-5 GT PP
Now that I own a 2018 CX-5, obviously I pay more attention to what's on the road. Duh, there are suddenly more than I ever noticed!

So my question is, with a 1 second glance, how do you tell difference between a Gen 1 (pre 17) and Gen 2? The changes sound subtle but what are the visual clues?

Well there are lots of ways, but if I had to pick one (from a side view) it would be the elimination of the lower up swept body character line on gen 2 cars. Something I was sad to see go as it gave the gen 1...well, "character" that the new model lacks IMO.

They are both shaped very similar so sometimes it's hard to tell quickly, especially from rear angles, and I've owned both gen 1 and gen 2. I would say the headlights give it away to me on the newer models first, however, every piece of sheet metal, plastic, glass is different on gen 1 and gen 2. I think the rear wiper arm is the only thing I could find that was the same part number on the exterior body. On the interior, everything changed but the commander knob. Frame, engine/transmission are the only things basically the same between them. They both look good to me.

267166.jpg

267171.jpg

Here are some good side-by-side pics showing how close the overall body shape is:
http://blog.consumerguide.com/styling-walk-around-2017-mazda-cx-5-versus-2016-mazda-cx-5/

Thanks! Didn't realize the grill change was so dramatic, rather like the new Rav4. Both were good style updates IMHO.

In this town (Boulder), I notice a fair amount of CX-5 gen 2 but I see a LOT more Teslas. Subarus, Rav4s, and CRVs are so abundant they are all a blur of boringness. Beemer Xs and various Audis are close. Even Porsche and Benz SUVs are fairly common.

The Chrome swoosh on the side is a dead giveaway.
Heads and tails are a dead giveaway, too.

I think from the front the headlights and LEDs are easy to identify. Pre-17 headlamp assembly are much larger and the fog lights are inside a boxy cutout. 17 and later the headlights are small and the fog lights are inside a long stripe.

On a side note, I am not a fan of the the "pizza slices" wheels, to me that's a step back from the previous gen.

I think from the front the headlights and LEDs are easy to identify. Pre-17 headlamp assembly are much larger and the fog lights are inside a boxy cutout. 17 and later the headlights are small and the fog lights are inside a long stripe.

On a side note, I am not a fan of the the "pizza slices" wheels, to me that's a step back from the previous gen.
Agree. The Vampire Fang wheels were Mazdas best.

Overbite on hood front is instantly diagnostic for me.

The early one has a one piece hood all the way to the front.
The second one has a 6 inch wide strip/overhang accross the front of the hood.
That's what I look for.
I hope I described it right.
Cheers.

Side rear windows i always notice - full glass triangle on the gen1 on rear door, vs a little plastic filler piece on the gen 2. Also headlights on gen1 are large vs more slit shape on gen2.

Back