Failure to start and warranty question

ocbot

:
2013 CX5 Grand Touring AWD
I got in my 2013 CX-5 GT AWD yesterday after work, pressed the start button, it fired up and then immediately died. Problem persists, after rolling it back to get it on the tow truck I tried it for the 10th time or so... it fired up for about 3 seconds before flat lining. Anyone ever have this issue?
Could it really be the fuel pump with only 35K on it? Utterly disappointed right now.

Also I'm a newb with this whole warranty thing. I got this used from a non CPO dealer with 24K on it last year. Mazda should still cover under the bumper to bumper though right?

Just guessing, from your description, I'll bet it's the battery, which may have enough juice to start it, but not to keep it running. This kind of thing isn't uncommon on modern cars. If it is the battery, that would not be covered under warranty unless it happened in the first twelve months. That said, it could be some other electronic component which should be covered under warranty. Don't panic; no reason to be "Utterly disappointed right now." These things happen. BTW, why would you assume it's the fuel pump? This is not a common problem with CX-5.

Just didn't think the battery would be the issue as is still seems to start strong and the radio, air windows etc all still seem fine. I guess I was thinking fuel pump because thats been a problem for me with other vehicles in the past and because it starts, but doesn't seem to be getting fuel to keep running.

also thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited:
I hate it when people respond with a comparison to a "similar problem they had with a 1908 Hupmobile they once owned", but I'll do it anyway. Years ago I had a '98 Dodge Dakota that did exactly what you describe. It never occurred to me (and I'm pretty car-savy) that it would be the battery because it cranked and started so readily, but wouldn't stay running for more than 10-15 seconds. I had AAA out to tow it to the dealer and the guy recognized the signs of a bad battery right away. He happened to have one on his truck that would fit for a reasonable price, so I had him change it on the spot. Presto! Problem solved.

Okay it's likely a bad airflow sensor. All should be covered under warranty. Still feeling a little disappointed, but better overall.

Back