Factory Trans Cooler

It's 2008 CX-9 GT with NAV and rear Entertainment Unit no Moonroof. It's the last unit on sale for 2008 model I bought in Jan. 2009. I don't know if it has towing package.

If it has the towing package it will have a hitch on it. Unless you're in Canada, which, I understand, all CX9s were set up for adding the hitch.

To tell if you have the extra cooling, look at the two radiator fans. If they both have the silver control module on the fan frame, like in vike's center photo, you have it. Non towing like mine only has one on the drivers side fan.

Also, take the rear cargo bins out and see if the trailer light connector is there. It taps into the left side taillight harness, I believe, and will be a square connector.

Yes I am in Canada, here's the picture of my CX-9 I took few days ago.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    357.9 KB · Views: 297
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 279
Does anyone has a page of workshop manual showing the wiring for the hitch signaling/light? Can you please post it here. Thanks.

You have the heavy duty cooling. Just need to add the receiver and harness.

There should be a connector under the left rear cargo bin. Otherwise, you just have to tap the lights yourself, which is really all the factory plug does, and run power to the battery.

A awl type 12v test light works well to ID the wires, if you don't get a schematic from anyone.

On the left rear cargo bin of my CX-9 there's a Bose subwoofer, when I open the compartment for the jack and look thru I can see a white connector I don't know if that's what you are pertaining here. Is there a way I can remove the cover of the subwoofer without damaging it or voiding the warranty?

My question is.... If I have no intention of ever towing, but always have people in my CX-9 IS it worth it, for the extra $500.00 to get the Tow Package for the extra cooling??

The thing is that you want the transmission to operate at the "set" temperature. The temperature was calibrated by Mazda to function properly in terms of MPG, longivity, etc.
Transmission operating at a lower temp could cost you MPG and may cause rough shifting. Towing and heavy load cause the transmission to work hard, therefore, raise temperature behind set degree. W/o better cooling, the transmission will shut down into limp mode (see TSB - loss power while climbing hills...).

I am not expert on this. Just to contribute what I have learned while researching into adding transmission cooler.

In short, people have reported loss of MPG by adding excessive cooling to the transmission. What is "excessive"? I don't know.

Maybe that is one more reason why GT AWD w/ Tow package could have the worst MPG among all models.

If it's a square connector not hooked up, that's probably the one the trailer converter will connect to. Use a test light to conform brakes and turn signals on it. I honestly don't know how the subwoofer comes out. Maybe someone with the Bose can help on that. Probably not much to it. The connector, and a couple of retainers, I'd guess.

The CX9 does have standard transmission cooling. The tow package just changes the fan control modules to keep more air across the radiator sooner.

Passengers and gear alone are fine without adding cooling. Just like the engine itself, you don't want to overcool the trans.

If it has the towing package it will have a hitch on it. Unless you're in Canada, which, I understand, all CX9s were set up for adding the hitch.

To tell if you have the extra cooling, look at the two radiator fans. If they both have the silver control module on the fan frame, like in vike's center photo, you have it. Non towing like mine only has one on the drivers side fan.

Also, take the rear cargo bins out and see if the trailer light connector is there. It taps into the left side taillight harness, I believe, and will be a square connector.

If this is the way to tell (truly) then my CX9 AWD GT without towing has the heavy duty cooling. I have two fan controls, one on each fan with heatsink.
The controls are black the heatsink is silver (aluminum)

I will have to check out the factory manual on this.

The-9,
All 2009 GT AWD has the Tow Prep included as standard.
Therefore, it is no surprise that you have dual fan control modules.
Tow Prep has everything a Tow package (of 2007-8) has excluding the hitch.

The-9,
All 2009 GT AWD has the Tow Prep included as standard.
Therefore, it is no surprise that you have dual fan control modules.
Tow Prep has everything a Tow package (of 2007-8) has excluding the hitch.

So basically... ALL 2009+s GT AWDs will have the added cooling feature, with OUT having to purchase the tow package?

Is this the connector for the hitch wiring? This connector is located near the Bose subwoofer left side bumper.

Attachments

• hitch wiring connector.JPG
    hitch wiring connector.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 292
Thanks to all those who have contributed to this thread. Very informative. This is what forums are all about.

Are there any CX-9 owners with towing package on their 08 can you please take a picture of the OEM hitch wiring connector, located in the left side tail of the car under the cargo bin? I want to confirm why the connector just like the one I posted here got so many wires, please see the attached pictures. Is this the correct connector for hitch wiring? Why it got so many wires?

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 236
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 239
Back