Facing some issues with gas pedal depress

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Old: 2 months, Miles: 3800. Of late I am noticing something. I am having to depress my gas pedal significantly more than I used to when I bought it. Right now, it feels like CVT RAV4/CRV type. I depress lightly - nothing, no change to acceleration. Then when I floor it, I get it up, quickly. I usually encounter this when over-taking/getting quickly into another lane or speeding up from a ramp. Should I be taking it to a dealer? Checked tire pressure: 39 psi.

Old: 2 months, Miles: 3800. Of late I am noticing something. I am having to depress my gas pedal significantly more than I used to when I bought it. Right now, it feels like CVT RAV4/CRV type. I depress lightly - nothing, no change to acceleration. Then when I floor it, I get it up, quickly. I usually encounter this when over-taking/getting quickly into another lane or speeding up from a ramp. Should I be taking it to a dealer? Checked tire pressure: 39 psi.

What happens when you are in SPORT mode?

Why are you running your tires at 39 psi?

How do you write 450 posts in 2 months? (boom01)

Last edited:

Has your gas mileage changed at all? If there were increased resistance somewhere, or if you needed more gas to accelerate I would expect your mileage to drop (more than expected for the winter months).

I suspect the engine is just learning your driving mannerisms. I believe the Skyactive tech "learns" how you drive and constantly tweaks the engine mapping to provide the highest possible MPG. I could be completely wrong in this assumption as well. Have you changed anything lately? Oil change, colder weather? different brand of gas?

I suspect the engine is just learning your driving mannerisms. I believe the Skyactive tech "learns" how you drive and constantly tweaks the engine mapping to provide the highest possible MPG. I could be completely wrong in this assumption as well. Have you changed anything lately? Oil change, colder weather? different brand of gas?

Usually the auto tranny has adaptive learning like you said above.

Usually there is some way to reset this also (disconnect battery, pull fuse, depress gas pedal while car is in accessory mode, etc).

Most vehicles can be reset to the factory default settings by disconnecting the car battery for 20 minutes or depress the brake peddle sever times to remove any residual voltage. Ed

Beat the crap out of it and it will be more responsive. Driving too conservative puts the car in old lady mode.

Engine responsiveness as Mazda intended will occur after your 2nd oil change or at aprox 10k miles.

I am having to depress my gas pedal significantly more than I used to when I bought it. Right now, it feels like CVT RAV4/CRV type. I depress lightly - nothing, no change to acceleration. Then when I floor it, I get it up, quickly. I usually encounter this when over-taking/getting quickly into another lane or speeding up from a ramp.

The solution is this: If you want it to "get up and go" you need to communicate that via the accelerator motion. There are two components of accelerator motion, position of the pedal and the rate of change (speed) of depression. If you ease slowly into the pedal the transmission will attempt to hold the gear it's in. If you quickly depress the pedal 1/2-3/4 of the way, the transmission will instantly drop one-two gears.

It's all about communicating your intention to the module that controls shift logic.

Hah! Imagine what a truly fast vehicle could do for you!

The solution is this: If you want it to "get up and go" you need to communicate that via the accelerator motion. There are two components of accelerator motion, position of the pedal and the rate of change (speed) of depression. If you ease slowly into the pedal the transmission will attempt to hold the gear it's in. If you quickly depress the pedal 1/2-3/4 of the way, the transmission will instantly drop one-two gears.

It's all about communicating your intention to the module that controls shift logic.

I have noticed that there is a significant lag from a stop. I have owned drive-by-wire vehicles before, and none had lag this bad. I wonder if it's the tiny converter, or if there is serious throttle input lag from a dig. I don't notice it once driving.

I have noticed that there is a significant lag from a stop. I have owned drive-by-wire vehicles before, and none had lag this bad. I wonder if it's the tiny converter, or if there is serious throttle input lag from a dig. I don't notice it once driving.

I've only noticed it if you're not coming to a complete stop, so the vehicle is still in 2nd gear when attempting to start moving again. But a quick stab of the accelerator solves the problem. Or, coming to a complete stop, or using manual mode.

My experience is totally opposite, comparing to my wife's 2014 Accord and the 2015 CR-V I test drove, which have a slight delay from stop that I still couldn't adjust myself to, the CX-5 is very responsive just like my 99 Civic. Just a slight touch on the gas pedal and the car starts moving immediately, it's actually feel better than the Civic.

Remember that the CPU/circuit in the CX-5 performs around 200 calculations per second (and most modern embedded CPU operates at MHz), I don't think Mazda would have any trouble making it responsive, especially driving experience is high priority for them.

I've only noticed it if you're not coming to a complete stop, so the vehicle is still in 2nd gear when attempting to start moving again. But a quick stab of the accelerator solves the problem. Or, coming to a complete stop, or using manual mode.

I've noticed it from a dead stop. Very significant delay. As in, let's say you line up against someone and punch it at the same time, they would have half a car on you before your CX-5 even went. It's about a full second or so, at least, it feelsl ike it.

My experience is totally opposite, comparing to my wife's 2014 Accord and the 2015 CR-V I test drove, which have a slight delay from stop that I still couldn't adjust myself to, the CX-5 is very responsive just like my 99 Civic. Just a slight touch on the gas pedal and the car starts moving immediately, it's actually feel better than the Civic.

Remember that the CPU/circuit in the CX-5 performs around 200 calculations per second (and most modern embedded CPU operates at MHz), I don't think Mazda would have any trouble making it responsive, especially driving experience is high priority for them.
This is worse than any other vehicle I've driven, actually. It's noticed on HEAVY acceleration from a stop, rather than light pulling away from a light. It's like the computer says "Oh...crap...is he going to do this? At 85%+ throttle? Dude...tires...you ready?...transmission, you're going to have to shift harder than normal now here in a bit? Team? Ready? READY!? Okay...GO!!!!" and finally you start rolling.

Mind you, when the Corvette and 370Z crowd complained about their "drive by wire"...I couldn't even tell. So I figure this is pretty significant if it causes me annoyance.

I think what you've experienced is the fuel got cut off when coasting, so it may take a slight delay to re-apply fuel. At least that's what I read in the Mazda 3 forum:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ion-while-coasting-noticeable-downshifts.html

This is worse than any other vehicle I've driven, actually. It's noticed on HEAVY acceleration from a stop, rather than light pulling away from a light. It's like the computer says "Oh...crap...is he going to do this? At 85%+ throttle? Dude...tires...you ready?...transmission, you're going to have to shift harder than normal now here in a bit? Team? Ready? READY!? Okay...GO!!!!" and finally you start rolling.

You might want to test drive another CX-5 at the dealer, you may have a lemon or defective car. I always pull ahead of other cars at stop light, even with a slight touch on the pedal. Also, the first 3 gears are really smooth and efficient in getting ahead. My experience, however, is limited to 2014 Accord, 2015 CR-V, 2014 Venza, 2012 Corolla, and 2013 Camry Sport.

I have noticed that there is a significant lag from a stop.

My experience is the opposite. The CX-5 seems MORE responsive (in terms of very minimal lag times) than other modern vehicles I've driven.

I think you generally report things that are the opposite of what most CX-5 owners report. Odd.

I know I was joking on the beat the hell out of it comment, but if you baby modern cars they will learn your driving habits and act accordingly. Sometimes you have to not be so concerned with mpg and have some fun. I did this with my CX5 and you can tell the difference once it learns your driving style. Not sure about Mazda, but in my BMW there is a documented transmission reset that allows for instantaneous transmission resets. I have never had to test this because I am a lead foot and could careless about mpg since prices are so low. Since the CX5 does not suffer from turbo lag the throttle response should be instantaneous.

Back