Extended Warranty..?

svusa

:
CX 9 2010
anyone tired to get extended warranty for CX9? my OEM will be expiring by year end and wondering if I should get another 5 year/50k power train. Any good deals out there?

It seems that, unlike Toyota/Lexus, no good deals on ext warranty can be found.
As a rule of thumb, 1/2 of MSRP is a good price if you intend to get it.

I did some checking around as we passed the 50K warranty mark on ours. Carchex seemed to have the best deal that I could find that covered everything, but I still thought it was too much money. You almost need a major component failure to make up for the cost, and I didn't want to gamble on that happening. I think as long as you keep up on maintenace, you should be ok. Now, if you've had issues before your warranty was up, I might consider it.

Last edited:
Speak of the devil, I just got an email from Carchex with thier Semi Annual Savings Event. $300 off + $100 loyalty cash.

You'd be better off putting a couple hundred bucks a month into an online savings account /rainy day fund for the car.

AWD CX-9 is the rare exception in which extended warranty is desirable, actually it is necessary. The transfer case in these vehicles is an Achilles heel, and in many instances it takes out the splines in the Aisin 6 speed auto. Rear shocks rarely go beyond 60K. Requires serious interior teardown for a replacement. It goes on and on. FWD is a calculated risk to forego the extended coverage.

IMHO, the AWD CX-9 is getting really long in the tooth, and even stupid auto journalists are starting to see that the cost to value proposition in these vehicles is difficult to justify; whereas, in 2008 that was difficult to see. Back then, the vehicle seemed like a good buy.

Don't get me wrong, both my wife and I enjoyed driving our '08 AWD CX-9 right up till the two drivetrain failures prior to 50K and then being rear-ended with $20K damage. However, I couldn't see the wisdom in purchasing another. Mazda better find a viable drivetrain for a future CX-9 iteration, and in general getting some engines out there with legitimate power. F... the Skyactiv junk quality I'm seeing in my '14 "6". If that's Mazda's direction for the future and the best they have, then this buyer says adios. No Speed offerings, a fail Sky-D initiative in the US after numerous broken promises. Abysmal resale. Questionable to known fail reliability. Can't build an infotainment system to work well enough to at least save face. Mazda better get real.

I'm sure many will disagree, and it's their prerogative. Any bad feelings beyond that, then those who vehemently take offense can suck my ass. I call it the way I see it. Too old to get phony at this point. Get the mods here to ban me if what I have to say burns you up.

Last edited:
So you had a bad (song in my head after reading your post). I'm hoping you're still alive and didn't jump off a cliff.

Anywho, what is your complaint with the current v6 offering with the CX9? I'm just curious, as I liked it best in its class when test driving just about every 7 passanger SUV in it's price class >$40K. It is by far more peppy than the Explorer (minus the Sport) or any of it's competition. Sure, there have been transfer case issues, which are now under extended warranty, but I don't think it's across the board. We're at almost 60K in our 2011, and for the most part it's been trouble free.

So you had a bad (song in my head after reading your post). I'm hoping you're still alive and didn't jump off a cliff.

Anywho, what is your complaint with the current v6 offering with the CX9? I'm just curious, as I liked it best in its class when test driving just about every 7 passanger SUV in it's price class >$40K. It is by far more peppy than the Explorer (minus the Sport) or any of it's competition. Sure, there have been transfer case issues, which are now under extended warranty, but I don't think it's across the board. We're at almost 60K in our 2011, and for the most part it's been trouble free.

Is Transfer case under extended warrenty? I took my 2008 CX-9 97K Miles, to dealer because i was experiencing the car jerking at 35-50 and dealer just told me that there is a leak in the Transfer Case which is causing this jerking. do you think it will be under extended warrenty? I showed it to a local shop and they told me the Torque converter needs to be changed. Thinking of getting the Extended mainentnace plan that dealr quoted me 48K 4 years for 3000, not sure if its a good idea.

Personally picked up a bumper to bumper 5yr (From Purchase) to 100k (Total mi) warranty for $1,700 with $0 deductible. Have used it several times with no issue.

Is Transfer case under extended warranty?

Don't think your's is but would be worth call Mazda over...
"Power Transfer Unit Warranty Extension Program SSP 92 for 2010-2014 CX-9 AWD"

Back