2016 CX-9 2.5T Cylinder Head Replacement

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone here replaced the cylinder head by themself. I just picked up a cheap 2016 cx9 with 116k miles, leaking oil and coolant from the head. The car is out of warranty. I will do the work myself, and I have a few questions.
Let me know.

Thank you,

Yea, first thing I would do is decide if it needs a long block due to coolant in the oil. If its only a head replacement I hear its still easier to do it by dropping the engine out on the subframe first. Dont know why thats just what I have read. Book time on a head is 17hr and an engine change is 11 hrs. Strange

Just a quick update.
I made a decision to replace the whole engine. I found a brand new Mazda engine for $2650 from a dealer in Florida. Shipping was $500. There are several Mazda dealers that offer engines at this price, but no one was willing to ship them because they are too big. Local Mazda dealers were asking $6k to $6.5k for a brand-new engine.

The old engine is out, and I was able to remove the engine from the top ( hood opening). Tranny is still in the car, including the differential and the shaft. Cat needed to be removed as well.
Engine removal was a relatively easy job.

It took around 9h to pull the engine from the top. Sometime next week, I will be dropping a new engine in, depending on time.
Let me know if you have any questions. I can drop some pictures if anyone is interested.

I just bought a 2016 sport with 74k miles. No problems yet, but definitely want to follow this as I want to know the true costs if you diy it. Definitely keep track of your time as I think that’s valuable info too.

I appreciate you documenting this process, sharing it here on the forum, and making yourself available for questions! Thank you for this.

Does the old engine have the crack in the cylinder head where the exhaust manifold is?

Yea, first thing I would do is decide if it needs a long block due to coolant in the oil. If its only a head replacement I hear its still easier to do it by dropping the engine out on the subframe first. Dont know why thats just what I have read. Book time on a head is 17hr and an engine change is 11 hrs. Strange
The drill is to drop the engine to replace the head. That is the standard practice, based on my experience with having the head replaced.

Another update.
Here are some pictures.
The old head split in half. You cant even call this a crack.

I added a picture of new engine head. I don't see any structural changes from the outside when compared to the old head.
Last picture is an empty engine bay. No need to pull the trans.

The engine installion is moving forword well.

Attachments

• 20240205_103238.jpg
    20240205_103238.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 122
  • 20240205_103148.jpg
    20240205_103148.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 113
  • 20240205_103144.jpg
    20240205_103144.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 20240205_103109.jpg
    20240205_103109.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
It is very disappointing that Mazda won't stand behind their mistake with these heads regardless of the mileage or warranty status. This is neither wear nor abuse, it is simply Mazda's error in manufacturing or designing the heads.

Update:

The car engine is installed, and the car is running good. Here is the cost breakdown of the whole project:

• The car cost was very cheap. It came from a friend of a friend. The local Mazda dealer offered a trade-in value of $2000. I gave them a little more for the car because I felt bad.
  • I was considering an engine rebuild (head replacement at $750), but it would have taken one to two months more due to my work schedule. I plan on rebuilding the old engine at a later date.
Anyway,

• The engine was $2,650 from Cox Mazda in Florida. They were the only place willing to ship an engine at the list price. Shipping was $500 to Wisconsin, where I'm located.
  • Seals and gaskets were $500 from Jake Sweny Tri County Mazda dealer in Cincinnati, OH. I did extensive research on parts pricing, and this dealer was/is the cheapest online. Plus, they have a flat fee for shipping. The seals and gaskets were for the turbo and exhaust valve, intake, injectors, oil cooler, and oil filter. I reused some old seals as they were in good shape.
  • RockAuto - $50 for air filter, cabin filter, and wipers.
  • Walmart - $50 for oil, brake, and carb cleaners to clean coolant and oil leaks all over the firewall.
The total cost of the whole engine replacement was around $3700. Labor took around 30 hours to pull the engine and install the new one. It took 10 hours to pull from the top and around 20 hours to install. I took my time during the installation to ensure I didn’t miss any bolts or brackets. There are lots of brackets, and this engine is like a puzzle; the installation follows a specific order. All bolts were torqued to the factory specs.

For this project, I did some research and found a Mazda service manual on an Australian website. It is for CX-5, but there is a 2.5 turbo engine. Here is a link for everyone to enjoy!
https://mazdamanuals.com.au/wsm-secure/WSM/D9K4-1A-21B_Ver13/

In the near future, I will work on rebuilding the engine and will post some pictures. The head from the Cincinnati dealer will cost under $750 with the gasket and bolts shipped!!!. It is definitely worth saving this engine if the internals are good.

Let me know if you have any questions about the project.

It is a shame that Mazda will not take responsibility for the factory defect. Most likely, this is an issue with the heat distribution (how the head is cooling) or improper aluminum casting aging. This is why they redesigned the gaskets and there is no structural changes to the new heads.

The good news for me is that I will be rebuilding lots of CX-9s in the near future for good money, just like I repaired several (over 20) CX-7s with 2.3t engines back in the day.

Update:

The car engine is installed, and the car is running good. Here is the cost breakdown of the whole project:

• The car cost was very cheap. It came from a friend of a friend. The local Mazda dealer offered a trade-in value of $2000. I gave them a little more for the car because I felt bad.
  • I was considering an engine rebuild (head replacement at $750), but it would have taken one to two months more due to my work schedule. I plan on rebuilding the old engine at a later date.
Anyway,

• The engine was $2,650 from Cox Mazda in Florida. They were the only place willing to ship an engine at the list price. Shipping was $500 to Wisconsin, where I'm located.
  • Seals and gaskets were $500 from Jake Sweny Tri County Mazda dealer in Cincinnati, OH. I did extensive research on parts pricing, and this dealer was/is the cheapest online. Plus, they have a flat fee for shipping. The seals and gaskets were for the turbo and exhaust valve, intake, injectors, oil cooler, and oil filter. I reused some old seals as they were in good shape.
  • RockAuto - $50 for air filter, cabin filter, and wipers.
  • Walmart - $50 for oil, brake, and carb cleaners to clean coolant and oil leaks all over the firewall.
The total cost of the whole engine replacement was around $3700. Labor took around 30 hours to pull the engine and install the new one. It took 10 hours to pull from the top and around 20 hours to install. I took my time during the installation to ensure I didn’t miss any bolts or brackets. There are lots of brackets, and this engine is like a puzzle; the installation follows a specific order. All bolts were torqued to the factory specs.

For this project, I did some research and found a Mazda service manual on an Australian website. It is for CX-5, but there is a 2.5 turbo engine. Here is a link for everyone to enjoy!
https://mazdamanuals.com.au/wsm-secure/WSM/D9K4-1A-21B_Ver13/

In the near future, I will work on rebuilding the engine and will post some pictures. The head from the Cincinnati dealer will cost under $750 with the gasket and bolts shipped!!!. It is definitely worth saving this engine if the internals are good.

Let me know if you have any questions about the project.

It is a shame that Mazda will not take responsibility for the factory defect. Most likely, this is an issue with the heat distribution (how the head is cooling) or improper aluminum casting aging. This is why they redesigned the gaskets and there is no structural changes to the new heads.

The good news for me is that I will be rebuilding lots of CX-9s in the near future for good money, just like I repaired several (over 20) CX-7s with 2.3t engines back in the day.
Awesome info. Thanks so much! What state are you in if you don’t mind? I’m down in SWFL.

Nice work.

On this note, are there any shops offering performance heads or head porting for these engines? Upgraded cams?

Nice work.

On this note, are there any shops offering performance heads or head porting for these engines? Upgraded cams?

I wouldn't port these heads. Removing any metal from the heads given their demonstrated propensity to crack seems like an astonishingly bad idea.

Nice work.

Porting and cam replacement don't make any sense because this is a turbo engine, and cams are already controlled by a computer. A good tuner should be able to remap the ECU and get you what you want.

I wouldn't port these heads. Removing any metal from the heads given their demonstrated propensity to crack seems like an astonishingly bad idea.
Logical. So, where I was going with that was, if you had to fork out $$ for a new cylinder head, I would look at aftermarket options. You would get something better than stock for the same money, or a little bit more. I would actually feel pretty bad if I paid a dealership for a replacement head then found out I could have gotten better from the aftermarket. That's how it works with small block Chevy/Ford. I haven't come across any Mazda performance shops yet.

Porting and cam replacement don't make any sense because this is a turbo engine, and cams are already controlled by a computer. A good tuner should be able to remap the ECU and get you what you want.
Upgraded heads and cams always make more power, even with turbos. All the turbo does is multiply the power your engine makes.

Hey lucklyz!
I sent a message to you about replacing my buddys cracked cylinder head. Was wondering if I could get a few questions answer about the job.

Excellent work btw!

We need more memebers out there like this!

Mazda needs to step up and replace all these cylinder heads., Honda , Toyota, Nissan would have called an official recall already... my local Mazda dealership only offered a new engine replacement
for $12k for my 2019 CX-9 (even though Mazda's internal TSB tells them to replace the head) CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE TIME!!!
I did call Mazda's main customer service and I'm awaiting a case manager who's working on a solution with my local dealership! Hopefully assisting or paying $$$$
CALL MAZDA 800*222*5500

Mazda will not do a recall.
Well, i dont know your situation and where you are located but there are some other options. My local dealer in wisconsin was asking $6500 for a new long block so prices very depending on dealer.
Mazda needs to step up and replace all these cylinder heads., Honda , Toyota, Nissan would have called an official recall already... my local Mazda dealership only offered a new engine replacement
for $12k for my 2019 CX-9 (even though Mazda's internal TSB tells them to replace the head) CLASS ACTION LAW SUITE TIME!!!
I did call Mazda's main customer service and I'm awaiting a case manager who's working on a solution with my local dealership! Hopefully assisting or paying $$$$
CALL MAZDA 800*222*5500

Back