exhaust heat shield

satyr36

:
2003 Protege Speed
will it cause any damage to surrounding areas if i take this off?

Mine is rattling like a MOFO and its really pissing me off.... I havnt really gotten under the car yet, just layed under it...doesnt seem to be rotted off or anything. Just seems like the exhaust is shaking and hitting the heatshield (yawn)

mines been off for 6 months, just get REALLY warm on your right foot if you drive barefoot (i live by the beach) for more than an hour.

I'd say that's a very bad idea! Just wack it a couple times with a mallet and 2x4 to give you some clearance where it's hitting the exhaust.

Which heat shield are you referring to, the one on the exhaust manifold or the one on the j-pipe? Both can come loose and rattle quite a bit. Just check both and make sure all bolts are still there and tight and everything should be fine. FWIW, I ran without a heatshield on the exhaust manifold for several months and didn't have a single problem with heat.

He mentioned right under his feet so I figured the big one around the 2nd cat.

Never mind that was the 2nd guy!

I took the one off that was between my exhaust pipe and shifter. My TWM shifter would rattle against the heat shield all the time. i have had no issues since removing it a couple years ago.

if you can get underneath it just shove some steel wool between the exhaust and shield and it will get rid of the rattling

Back