exhaust for 00 lx 1.6l

:
2k Protege LX
Ok so fortunately I do not have to do emissions where I live so I'd like to get rid of the cats on my protege. Now here is where I need some help. What are my options for aftermarket exhausts? I have had nothing but bad bad bad experience when it comes to working on exhausts so as close to "bolt on and go" as I can get would be great.

That is one thing I should have specified. Not into loud ass exhausts. Had a talon like that and it sucked not being able to hear anything lol. I do have a generic fart can laying around somewhere I could just stick on there but would rather not go that route either.

well removing the cats would probably be loud anyways, resinators maybe?

or try a cat back from an msp i hear they fit, might be wrong though

Our cars have a pre cat at the header, and my 1.6 only has one cat. If your car is California emissions equipped, you should have 2 cats and an egr. You can delete the cat with an obx longtube header like the one I have, but it is rediculiously loud. They sell on eBay for $175-200. Protophile might be able to source a thunder header from outside the country, but last I heard he was done with importing parts for the 1.6. Your car will bolt up directly to a mazdaspeed axleback muffler. When I put the mazdaspeed axleback on my car it made a nice exhaust note, but with the header it is so raspy that it sounds like it rattles itself. Just my .02 cents. There is a magnaflow exhaust on eBay for cheap, add a header, and you will see a power increase. The magnaflow deletes the resonator as well. I think the magnaflow is less than $250, which is really low price for such high quality. You can also look in the for sale section, there are always people selling exhaust parts. Just so you know most 99-03 aftermarket bolt on exhausts are interchangeable, except the header, header must be for a 1.6l. I also recommend upgrading the stock exhaust hangers to poly ones from corksport. Check out corksport.com they have alot of goodies for our cars, and excellent customer service. Protegefaq.net has alot of good info on protege specs.

Last edited:
Bust out all the catalytic s*** with a pipe. Best to do it off the car to ensure none of the s*** gets into the head. Then do the non fouler trick to your downstream 02 sensor so yo don't get a check engine light. Find an msp axle back exhaust, bolt it in. I have the msp axle back on my p.o.s. 99 1.6...frankly i wish it was louder, but it does have a nice growl @ 4000 rpm +.

Back