Exhaust - Corksport or Racing Beat?

Is the Racing Beat exhaust loud enough to notice inside the car?

The main benefit of getting the CS exhaust is that it is lighter than the OEM muffler. As far as gains go, they are both axle backs, so I think the gains will be similar, if there is even any.
<BUMP>

Planning to install a cork next year on cx5 so bumped this thread now to give time for some responses. Main reason is too lose curb weight.

How much lighter is cork over OEM?

Has anyone who's taken OEM off weighed it?
Does anyone know how much the OEM weighs?

If the weight is less, then going to get the cork for the sound...listening to videos, it has the best tone, borla is just too loud(unless young and single), racing beat is too ricey sounding and magna-flow was a maybe.

Any suggestions on how to slightly lower the sound @ highway speed / prevent drone on the corksport? Anything I can switch/add?

<BUMP>

Planning to install a cork next year on cx5 so bumped this thread now to give time for some responses. Main reason is too lose curb weight.

How much lighter is cork over OEM?

Has anyone who's taken OEM off weighed it?
Does anyone know how much the OEM weighs?

If the weight is less, then going to get the cork for the sound...listening to videos, it has the best tone, borla is just too loud(unless young and single), racing beat is too ricey sounding and magna-flow was a maybe.

Any suggestions on how to slightly lower the sound @ highway speed / prevent drone on the corksport? Anything I can switch/add?

Just a note, the audio Corksport has posted is for the 2.5T engine. As far as I know, they haven't released any audio or video of this axleback on the 2nd gen NA 2.5 engine, but it does fit on the car. Also, at the end of their blog for the CX-5 axleback, they state that that sound is comparable to their 1st gen CX-5 axleback.

Here's a clip of the 1st gen Corksport axleback.

Also, in the FAQs on Corksport's product page for the exhaust, I found this. Apparently it is lighter, but no idea by how much. You can email Corksport to confirm.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Just a note, the audio Corksport has posted is for the 2.5T engine. As far as I know, they haven't released any audio or video of this axleback on the 2nd gen NA 2.5 engine, but it does fit on the car. Also, at the end of their blog for the CX-5 axleback, they state that that sound is comparable to their 1st gen CX-5 axleback.

Here's a clip of the 1st gen Corksport axleback.

Also, in the FAQs on Corksport's product page for the exhaust, I found this. Apparently it is lighter, but no idea by how much. You can email Corksport to confirm.

View attachment 304188
Thanks Sm1ke. Yeah I like the sound of the cork the best... haven't had any of these new exhausts. In the old days, we had glass-packs and cherry-bombs on our mustangs and chevelles. A few of my friends currently have borlas on v8s that sound great but their way loud for my use. and the videos of borla on a 4 banger is loud but not in a good way. Based on the videos and sound clips, my preference would be
1. Corksport
2. Magna-flow
3 . Borla
4 . Racing beat

The main reason for the exhaust is to lose curb weight though. Corksport emailed me the weight of the axleback but don't know the weight of the OEM so they couldn't tell me how much weight I'd drop. Gonna have to see if any posts that someone took off and weighed their OEM. For me to spend the $$, gotta get some decent weight savings out of it.

Last edited:
So now confused.

Was able to find what might be OEM weight on hks website. Never heard of hks ...it seems they are foreign and I'd have to import this system.

Per HKS website,
The OEM =23.27 lbs
Hks= 10.8 lbs

Per Borla web,
Borla = 20.10 lbs
Borla ship weight =29 lbs

Per corksport email
Cork ship weight =41 lbs
They couldn't provide actual weight but 41 lbs ship weight is heavy.

Per racing beat website
RB = might be 22 lbs.

Magna-flow = ???

From looking at this it seems the HKS might be the only one to drop weight while the corksport might be the heaviest(with ship wgt at 41 lbs, it has to weight at least 30 or more lbs) and heavier than oem.

If there all axle-backs and all stainless, how can the weights vary so much?

I may have to take the OEM off myself just to find out what it actually weighs.

And really listen to the HKS video clips.
Based on weight
1. Hks lose - 12.4 lbs
2. Borla lose - 3.2 lbs

Even if borla sounds better than hks, would only give a 3 lbs loss.

Weight loss, as long as the system sounds good, was/is the goal.

HKS is a very well-known brand in the JDM/Asian tuner world. I believe they are based out of Japan. I think back when you had the glasspacks and cherry bombs, the import tuners had HKS knock-off mufflers.

Is this the HKS axleback you're referring to? It seems to be the only one available for the 17+ CX-5 (KF).

Have you considered having a good muffler shop chop off the OEM mufflers to replace them with straight pipes? You'd drop a lot of weight, and it would be very cheap in comparison. It just wouldn't sound as good as an actual axleback (IMO). I found this clip of a guy who recorded a hitch install, and it includes a clip of what the CX-5 sounds like with the axleback removed. Includes startup, idle, and some revving. Just for your reference.

All this exhaust talk, I haven't found very many decent videos or recordings of any exhaust let alone RB, CS, Borla Touring specifically from the any model specifically with the 2.5T.

The turbo acts as a muffler itself. I'm intrigued by all of the above mentioned mufflers. But don't want to buy anything, let alone a $600+ thing without knowing what I'm getting into.

CS - I like the fit and finish (currently have the heat shield and intake), the recordings I've heard are meh. To me, it looks a bit too 'blingy'

RB - The sound seems decent from this. But I dont know if it was a 2.5T from the recordings as most are KE, the fit and finish is excellent. Love the brand and the fact its pseudo mazda approved... and I seem to remember the brand being in granturismo which is a cool factor for me.

Borla Touring - finding sound clips of their touring line on anything is really tough let alone a cx5. I like the sound clips posted elsewhere on this site (cold starts seem to sound like a rattling garbage can). But there are zero exterior driving videos. The fit and finish is 'meh'. For something designed and built specifically for the car, there shouldn't be clamps (fail points). This also leads to potential fitment issues, as I've seen in a couple photos/videos.

I don't really care about cold start, idling, stand still revving, interior noise (for the most part). I want to hear drive by at different rates of accelerations and decelerations real world stuff.

As with the CS intake, I dont care about added horsepower... Its more about the sound(s)

All the people that own these exhausts here... I know you love your purchase... Please, please share some exterior videos. Beyond cold start, idling, stand still revving.

In my search, I've heard a lot of these cars (turbo or not I dont know) that sound awful... Like crappy fart Can buzzing raspy bee's from the early 2000's. Something I hope we all want to avoid.

p.s. thedadcar on Instagram has a cx9 (I assume 2.5T) with full straight pipe, and it really doesn't sound too bad.

Last edited:
Back