Engine Ticking noise

Aaron

:
2003 MSP
I have noticed in the morning upon leaving for work, I start my car and let it idle for a couple of minutes in my garage that it is ticking like a lifter noise or something as soon as the oil warms up I guess cause the temp comes of to normal reading the ticking is barely noticed..I took it to the dealer and they told me it is just the Mazda characteristics of these four bangers. I want to know does any body else's make the ticking noise in the morning that they know of????

(nervous)

Is it a rhythmic tic, in other words, equally spaced sounds, or more of a random assortment of ticking noises?

all the 2.0s that i have heard do it. i know mine does, i have tried to see what the noise is, and the best i can tell its sounds like the fuel injectors, i could be wrong, but if you feel the wire harnesses plugged in them you can feel the tick as they open and it goes with the rythmatic sound.

I have a '95 Probe 2.0. I think it is just an earlier generation of our engines. It has ticked since I got it new and never been a problem.

On this website that lists a bunch of a Mazda Tech Support Bulletin's (http://web2.airmail.net/emann/protegefaq/tsb/) they say it's normal, here's the text:

Customer may experience an engine rattle under light to moderate
acceleration with engine coolant temps below 149 deg f and engine
rpm's between 1500 to 2500.

Confirm noise only occurs within the VTCS(Variable Tumble Control
system) operation "valve closed" period (when ECT is below 149 deg f)

The noise is a result of the intentional swirl that is generated
when the VTCS plates are closed. This swirl accelerates the burning
speed of the air/fuel mixture for efficient combustion and enhanced
engine performance during cold engine coolant temperatures and low
engine RPM operation periods.
Although the noise does not have a negative affect on the engine and
disappears once the engine coolant reaches 149 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mazda realizes that it is an annoyance to some customers, therefor
Mazda is investigating new tuning standards in an effort to address
customer dissatisfaction.

Until the new standard is availible no repair attempts should be made.

I thought the turbo engines didn't have VTCS.

It sounds to me like the lifters. My old car did the same thing upon start-up, until I switched to synthetic, which flows better when cold so it got to the top end of the engine much quicker.

I'm running synthetic oil and the noise is still there, so I don't think it's lifters, at least not in our cars.

I believe the MSP engine is identical to a N/A 2.0, it just has a turbo strapped on.

It is the fuel injectors pulseating. I run 5w 30 and 0w 30 which usually quiets lifters. The oil is very thin like water. Good for lubbing everything.

cdglowp5 said:
It is the fuel injectors pulseating. I run 5w 30 and 0w 30 which usually quiets lifters. The oil is very thin like water. Good for lubbing everything.

not that loud though thru the rpm band;)

guys its the vtcs like mikey pointed out. the plates have a small slit on the top that allow the air to stream from. it causes the tumble effect by inducing swirl by the head port. the pressure when the enige idles all the way to incline rpm slams into the plates causing them to "vibrate" against a lip meant to keep the plate open a little so it wont close completely.the lip is part of the manifold runner. you can have it machined and might help also when you adjust the position screw by the actuator.
just take the vaccum hose off the the actuator closest to the head port and plug it.
that will solve the problem with no CEL
i have ported and polished mine and expect to see a slight increase in airflow thruout the rpm band.

ticking noise

Yeah my '03 MSP makes a ticking noise but if i push the clutch in it stops. Im not sure if thats the same as what you guys are talking about but it realy bothers me. any advice?

Ok, I was just reading along looking for some info because I heard from someone the newer FS series motors had solid lifters. Which it's obvious now that I'm reading this post that they are not. I've owned a 96 Probe SE for 3 years and have read up on this "ticking". It is the lifters which are Hydraulic adjustable that make the noise. Here's an interesting post on my home board by the GT guys who have the mazda 2.5L KL series motor. They also have the ticking.

HLA, what are they, why do they tick, how to clean them, dissassemly/reassembly.....

This is what makes the noise. Reason why is the oil pumps in these mazda engines are fairly week and that combination with the HLA's makes for what you hear. It's quite annoying as the car gets older it will get louder as well. I'm looking for ways to bump the pressure up on my probe's oil pump. I know of a few people who have shimmed the oil pressure relieve valve up and that has seemed to fix the problem. There's a write up about that on our board too if anyone is interested.

lowerdfool said:
Ok, I was just reading along looking for some info because I heard from someone the newer FS series motors had solid lifters. Which it's obvious now that I'm reading this post that they are not. I've owned a 96 Probe SE for 3 years and have read up on this "ticking". It is the lifters which are Hydraulic adjustable that make the noise. Here's an interesting post on my home board by the GT guys who have the mazda 2.5L KL series motor. They also have the ticking.

HLA, what are they, why do they tick, how to clean them, dissassemly/reassembly.....

This is what makes the noise. Reason why is the oil pumps in these mazda engines are fairly week and that combination with the HLA's makes for what you hear. It's quite annoying as the car gets older it will get louder as well. I'm looking for ways to bump the pressure up on my probe's oil pump. I know of a few people who have shimmed the oil pressure relieve valve up and that has seemed to fix the problem. There's a write up about that on our board too if anyone is interested.
the new fs engines from 2001 and up are not the same. we have different lifters

Does the MSP even have VTCS? MP3s don't so I figured they wouldn't either.

Back