Engine swap

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
Okay, I am just fantasizing here...but what's the feasability of the following...

1) Swapping the V6 into the Protege chassis
2) Swapping a Rotary into the Mazda6

I know there are gearheads dying to tackle this challenge, so let'e hear it.

I would think that the KL-series V6 from the Probe GT and MX6 wouldn't be too hard to do. Hell, a KL will fit into an MX3 without much trouble. I would think it would be pretty feasible.

A 13BT would be dreamy... : DROOL :

Last edited:
Captain KRM P5

Turbo Question?

What is the boost on your turbo, Did you beef up your clutch plate, half shafts? Also do you have alot more wheel hop now?? Because my 2.0L manual P5 has a ton of wheel hop. I don't like that, I put my 500$ deposit down on a mazda speed protege, but I am concerned with putting 170 HP in that car, and the wheel hop being so bad in the P5(Front Wheel Drive.) could you elaborate on your turbo system, how much did it cost too??

jhanson9 answer!

I haven't gotten the kit installed yet. With all the information from Corky (the mfr.), I do not expect to need new halfshafts or a clutch plate. I do plan on looking into the ACT clutch and possibly a flywheel. Wheel hop will be present in most front-wheel drive cars, regardless of boost. You can partially correct this issue with motor mounts, something else I am looking into.

I paid $3000 shipping included for the kit. Flyin Miata has taken over production of this kit for an unspecified price. I will be running between 6 to 7 psi (another reason why halfshafts, etc. are unnecessary). If you check the dyno charts at Flyin Miata's website, this kit will outperform the Calloway Kit on the MAZDASPEED Protege by a wide margin with the proper exhaust setup.

Its a shame that you are trading away your P5, especially if its on the wheel hop issue alone. If anything, wheel hop and torque steer will be far worse on the MSP you're going to buy. The latest issues of Car and Driver and Motor Trend confirm that much from test drives. One tester was quoted to say "I'd just like to have the turbo motor in the MP3" due to handling issues.

Oh almost forgot, I expect the install to cost around $500.

Back