Engine size vs displacement

Rainman

:
2006 Black Mica MS6 GT + 2007 MS3 (2003.5 Yellow MSP = retired)
Which is best for increased HP: Displacement or overall number of cylinders?

We have all heard the term that, "There is no replacement for displacement," in reference to the ability of an engine to make power. The more fuel that you can put through an engine at a given time, the more power you can make as a result. Turbocharging an engine can affect this to some degree.

So if you have 2 engines, one with 4 cylinders and another with 8 cylinders, both with the same bore, stroke, and piston size, you would expect the engine with 8 cylinders to make more power than the engine with 4 cylinders. Playing with the piston size of the smaller engine will allow it to make more power. Adding a turbo will also do the same thing, as would changing its stroke. These are all easy concepts to visualize.

However, I am having difficulty understanding exactly how torque and horsepower are affected by these concepts. For example, consider the two engines mentioned above. Obviously, the 8 cylinder engine will have more HP and TQ than will the smaller 4 cylinder. However, consider now a different scenario.

Engine 1: NA 8 cylinder with a given bore (X), a given stroke (Y). Engine 2: NA 4 cylinder with a larger bore than the 8 cylinder (2X), but 1/2 the stroke of the 8 cylinder (1/2Y). Engine 3: NA 4 cylinder with 1/2 the bore of the 8 cylinder (1/2X), but twice the stroke of the 8 cylinder (2Y). All engines have the same displacement, but would they all produce the same TQ and HP all other things being equal?

My question is whether for engines of a given displacement, is it more beneficial to have more cylinders and thus more smaller fuel combustions at any given time, or to have less cylinders and thus fewer larger fuel combustions at any given time. In other words, if someone created a 2.0L I8 would it have more TQ and HP than an 2.0L I4?

Someone help a brother out.

R

Last edited:
You pose a good question. I'm no drivetrain engineer, so here's a very loose answer: It's been my understanding that an engine with a longer stroke will make more torque sooner than an engine of a shorter stroke. This said, the motor with the shorter stroke will be able to rev higher and thus make more horsepower (see small displacement Ferrari V8's). It all depends on the car + engine + application. In my stoplight to stoplight world, a motor that makes more torque sooner = more fun :) (Torque x Engine speed) / 5,252 = Horsepower

i'm no expert but that's what i think too

Longer stroke will give you more torque faster, shorter stroke will let you go higher rpm and maybe more hp on top end .. i think

maybe you can compare the latest honda civic engines here: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?year=2006&make=Honda&model=Civic&trimid=-1
look at the bottom. you'll see bore x stroke of te 1.8 and 2.0 and how much hp@rpm. duno if it's a good example though

i have no idea how the v8 would perform given the info you gave us. The v8's bore and stroke would have to be alot smaller than the 4 cyls if you want both engine to have the same overall displacement (2.0l v8 for example) ... i'm not sure what it would be capable of. my thoughts are .... more cylinders = twice the amount of explosions = more power. maybe not ALOT more but i think a 2.0L v8 would be able to produce more power than a 2.0L I4 ..... but eh, i have no idea lol

it would be nice to have the opinion of someone who really knows about this

Metal MP5 said:
i'm no expert but that's what i think too

Longer stroke will give you more torque faster, shorter stroke will let you go higher rpm and maybe more hp on top end .. i think

maybe you can compare the latest honda civic engines here: http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?year=2006&make=Honda&model=Civic&trimid=-1
look at the bottom. you'll see bore x stroke of te 1.8 and 2.0 and how much hp@rpm. duno if it's a good example though

i have no idea how the v8 would perform given the info you gave us. The v8's bore and stroke would have to be alot smaller than the 4 cyls if you want both engine to have the same overall displacement (2.0l v8 for example) ... i'm not sure what it would be capable of. my thoughts are .... more cylinders = twice the amount of explosions = more power. maybe not ALOT more but i think a 2.0L v8 would be able to produce more power than a 2.0L I4 ..... but eh, i have no idea lol

it would be nice to have the opinion of someone who really knows about this

Thanks again for the response guys. Check out this thread. I still don't understand all the info yet, but a slower read will fix that...LOL! I'll keep looking for more info.

R

Last edited:
You have the general trend right, but it's really not just more fuel that you make more power, the point is that larger displacement "displaces" more air so you burn more fuel and so more "power"

Now about the bore, stroke and i'm guessing you are talking about the geometry of the piston all being the same, the larger displacement will always beat it, because it moves more air (given the valvetrain is optized to not choke the engine).

I would opt for more cylinder in your example of 2L I8 instead of 2L I4, because torque delivery is smoother (more frequent powerstroke per 360 deg of crankc angle), and the pistons are smaller so that I can rev higher ie F1 engine.

the answer is far more complicated than just a stroke and bore answer. and just engine senarios, bore is volume. so for example if the fsde with an 83mm bore and 92mm stroke (1991cc) was changed to a 166mm bore, the size of the engine is 7960cc. certainly far more than double....

but i can tell you 2 replacements for displacement

1. technology
2. rpm

Back