Engine Mount Woes

That's something I hadn't thought of. My rear mount was still pretty stout when I removed it. How did you figure out that your rear mount is mush? I'm not too educated on the aftermarket damper, but after talking with a couple people, they recommended going that route as well. I've heard of other cars having them, but nothing about ours.

I replaced my front and side mounts, but I think I am going back to stock. Does anybody besides Mazda make an oem type replacement? I doubt it, but it would probably be cheaper than a Mazda part.

if you look at it and the mount isn't centered or the rubber isn't torn...my pass sid mount right now, the motor is sitting almost on the metal the rubber is so gone

That's something I hadn't thought of. My rear mount was still pretty stout when I removed it. How did you figure out that your rear mount is mush?

Its difficult to quantify. Also, there is no way to test the integrity of the mount, especially once its removed. I mean, you may not be able to wiggle it with your hand, but you aren't placing anywhere near the force the engine is.

I am thinking about rigging a video camera and recording the engine while driving. I have a small camera which could be mounted under there with the hood closed...maybe this weekend. I'll be sure to link here if a video materializes.

After ~50K miles the stock unit is bad. By the time you get access - just change it.

An aftermarket unit should last the life the car, while another stock unit would only last 50K-ish.

Since you have to remove the intake to gain access.... do the VTCS remove and loctite the VICS... Maybe do the thermoblok gaskets too...

If the front mount looks like this, then it's time to replace it.

2008-10-27_1.jpg

as you can see.. there is only about 1/2 of an inch of material on each side that is actually attached. Once it dries/cracks/tears you'll notice your shifter slopping around more.

After ~50K miles the stock unit is bad. By the time you get access - just change it.

An aftermarket unit should last the life the car, while another stock unit would only last 50K-ish.

Since you have to remove the intake to gain access.... do the VTCS remove and loctite the VICS... Maybe do the thermoblok gaskets too...

Are you kidding me? You actually removed the intake manifold to change the rear motor mount? That definately does NOT have to be done.

yeah i got the passenger side mount going really bad.....but i'm planning on replacing all with medievill.....no inserts here...just relace the whole thing man

edit: i've read alot and it would appear that the medieval combines the best of holding and less vibes than most of the afermarket from all the peoples talk

How did you like the MEdieval mounts?

Back