Engine mount upgrade

hat1018

:
2003 Protege5, 2006 Mazda3, 2015 CX5
I am looking to upgrade my engine mounts. I could use some help with some brand names. Not worried too much about prices right now I can research those. What I need are names and what kind of luck you have had with them. Any and all responses are appreciated.

Street unit has a nice selection of engine mounts. I've seen a lot of people go with CP-E

Last edited:
I have a trz dogbone rear motor mount installed. It's rough and it makes the car vibrate but it also made shifts more crisp and helped with the lack of torque while accelerating from a stop. The factory mount has a lot of flex to it and it absorbs some of your torque.

If ratles or vibrations bother you at all leave your mounts alone. The mazda3 WILL vibrate quite a bit with stiffer mounts installed.

No I haven't upgraded mine yet. I only have 8,000 miles on the car and I don't get on it till 2nd gear so I dint see the need for it yet

No I haven't upgraded mine yet. I only have 8,000 miles on the car and I don't get on it till 2nd gear so I dint see the need for it yet
Well that makes sense, I did not see that your car was an '11. Thanks for the info though.

Come on people there has to be more than 1 person that has swapped out their motor mounts.

just started looking at doing mine.... i went to protege garage... im wait for them to come in at the time, i went with TRZ

Since I have an awfulmatic trans I may just try Corksport inserts. Just not real sure, need some more feedback. The TRZ dogbone would be too much NVH for me I think.

Since I have an awfulmatic trans I may just try Corksport inserts. Just not real sure, need some more feedback. The TRZ dogbone would be too much NVH for me I think.

sorry just put my 2cents out there... but i can post after i get them put in... by the way i got slap stick/ auto..

I picked up a Medieval Dog Bone Version 2. They are no longer around unfortunately, but if you can find one used like I did (bought it off a friend), it's a great mid-road mount. Combats engine movements and cuts down on wheelhop a decent bit, but no vibrations at all.

If you want something to try, I have my old Corksport inserts that I will sell you cheap. I liked them, but i wanted something more substantial for autocross. Let me know and we can arrange something.

sorry just put my 2cents out there... but i can post after i get them put in... by the way i got slap stick/ auto..
Nothing to be sorry about, I appreciate all the input I can get. Let me know how you like the TRZ mount/s. After Chef said he felt they were too firm with a manual trans I knew I would not like them at all with an automatic.
I picked up a Medieval Dog Bone Version 2. They are no longer around unfortunately, but if you can find one used like I did (bought it off a friend), it's a great mid-road mount. Combats engine movements and cuts down on wheelhop a decent bit, but no vibrations at all.

If you want something to try, I have my old Corksport inserts that I will sell you cheap. I liked them, but i wanted something more substantial for autocross. Let me know and we can arrange something.

Shoot me a PM, I am always willing to get a good deal. I am pretty sure that is what I want anyway, firmer but not firm. With an automatic I would think too firm would be bad!

Last edited:
I went to the mazda dealer to get my recall done for my power steering failure---and they did a checkup & told me my Rear motor mount was cracked in half. So now I have to look for the same..

any other input guys??

I USED to have the AWR, but as chefspot said, it made the car vibrate like crazy, especially sitting at a light w/the A/C on and drove me nuts. But it did reduce wheels hop. I put up w/it for two yrs before I couldn't take it anymore.

I just ordered the JBaroneRacing aluminum billet rear. It is said to not transmit as much vibration as other mounts. We'll see.

I would like reduced wheels hop and would also like to upgrade my front mounts to something. But like you, I'm not sure who to turn to?

I USED to have the AWR, but as chefspot said, it made the car vibrate like crazy, especially sitting at a light w/the A/C on and drove me nuts. But it did reduce wheels hop. I put up w/it for two yrs before I couldn't take it anymore.

I just ordered the JBaroneRacing aluminum billet rear. It is said to not transmit as much vibration as other mounts. We'll see.

I would like reduced wheels hop and would also like to upgrade my front mounts to something. But like you, I'm not sure who to turn to?

i know its an old thread so sorry to dig this up but did you ever install the jbarone rear? if so howd you like it?

Oh yes. I installed it in June of this year and it is a huge improvement over the AWR. Still some vibration w/the A/C on but the dashboard doesn't want to shake out of the car now, nor the steering wheel out of my hands. I had to burn 'em off the other day in an emergency situation on dry pavement and had no noticeable wheel hop.
I highly recommend their/this mount as an upgrade.

great! thanks for input! hopefully i can get this next. suspension is my main focus as of now. hp adders besides basic bolt ons will have to wait till im finished with the payments. dont wanna blow anything untill its paid (hate to be making payments on something i cant drive). springs and struts are pricey so this is at the top of the list...ever tried a top or bottem mounted strut bar? curious as to how well they work out on the mz3.

Off topic, but here we go. Generally speaking, the top mount strut bar is for esthetics on this car. The strut towers are close enough to the firewall that they get some rigidity from it. In terms of 'bottom mounted' strut bar, what are you refering to? There are a few options for the lower front and lower rear chassis braces. I would save the money you would spend on strut bars and get the motor mount; or invest in a rear sway bar.

Back