Engine mount nomenclature

:
Protege5 2003
The rubber in my P5's No. 3 mount looks like it might torn, but it's hard to see even with a mirror and a flashlight. So I went looking for instructions on replacing it - figuring I'd take it out and have a look. After reading a bunch of motor mount threads I ended up confused by the names people were using for the various mounts. In many threads people speak as if there are just to two motor mounts: the front and the rear. However, in the manual

http://protege5.ugly.net/01-10b.PDF

on page 0110B22 there are 4 mounts shown, and these are named No. 1, No. 2, No. 3, and No. 4. From that illustration I assume that No. 1 is "rear" and No. 2 is "front". Correct? Do No. 3 and No. 4 have common names too?

The manual's instruction for installing No. 3 were particularly unenlightening, see page 0110B23. Is it possible to just remove the rubber insert for inspection, and if so, is it necessary to support the motor while doing so?

There are 4 mounts: front, rear, passenger side, and driver side. Your only hope for the passenger and driver side would be to get a new factory mount or side inserts. The inserts just push into the airspace around the factory mounts.

The number 3 mount is the passenger side and is pretty easy to do.

You can also get the #3 (passenger side) mount from the MSP, part number BP7H-39-06Y. Mine is going in tomorrow.

JoshP5 said:
Mine is going in tomorrow.

What are the steps to replace it? For now I just want to get a better look at the current one to see if the rubber really is ripped.

There are several threads about motor mounts ripping in P5s. Is there a consensus on which ones are the most likely to tear? Anybody have the part numbers for the rubber part on stock P5 motor mounts?

Thanks.

pasadena_commut said:
What are the steps to replace it?

From what I understand, it's support engine, unbolt, remove.

pasadena_commut said:
Is there a consensus on which ones are the most likely to tear?

They all suck, but it seems the front usually goes first. I replaced mine and found it was just beginning to tear, so hopefully it's the #3 which is causing my slop.

pasadena_commut said:
Anybody have the part numbers for the rubber part on stock P5 motor mounts?

You can't just get the stock rubber parts. They come already attached to their surrounding metal structure.

JoshP5 said:
You can't just get the stock rubber parts. They come already attached to their surrounding metal structure.

Typical. That way when the part that always fails (the rubber) goes you will also be forced to buy the part that never fails (the rest of it). So a relatively inexpensive block of rubber gets turned into a profit earning composite part. Excluding collision damage, has anybody ever seen the metal parts of an engine mount fail?

Back