EGR Help Please

gone_fishin

:
One of a Kind '99
Can anyone give me any advice for getting the EGR pipe nut off the exhaust mani or intake mani side? The exhaust mani nut seems to be at a less ridiculous angle, but it isnt budging, even with some PB blast and some mild tapping.

the exhaust mani side i just used a large adjjustable wrench. the intake side i heard is a biatch

The only way I've found to reach the Intake Manifold side is to remove the intake, and throttle body....It's a b****, but probably takes less time than screwing around and trying to wrestle your way in there....I'm not touching my EGR until I'm swapping my IM....Not worth the hassle until then...

ProtoType5 said:
The only way I've found to reach the Intake Manifold side is to remove the intake, and throttle body....It's a b****, but probably takes less time than screwing around and trying to wrestle your way in there....I'm not touching my EGR until I'm swapping my IM....Not worth the hassle until then...

yeah that's what I'm doing right now unfortunately lol

ProtoType5 said:
Did you try some moderate to extreme tapping???? Large adjustable wrench is the way to go....

I'm really trying not to strip or mushroom the nut, but i'm giving it some loving.

try heating up the nut with a mini torch or something like it i bet it comes right off. just use common sense and dont weld it on lol

corey

I ended up just taking off the throttle body, but it's still nearly impossible to get a good grip on the IM side. So, I guess I'll try the mini torch. Did I mention that I absolutely hate seized bolts and nuts?

Has anyone been sucessful with this? If so, what did you do to get the EGR pipe fitting loose from the exhaust mani side? I'm getting really frustrated here.

gone_fishin said:
I ended up just taking off the throttle body, but it's still nearly impossible to get a good grip on the IM side. So, I guess I'll try the mini torch. Did I mention that I absolutely hate seized bolts and nuts?

Then how the hell do you tolerate having a Protege??? :p it's seized bolt hell all day every day. Hell, I'm working on one as I type this (stuck bolt in callaway manifold.

LOL I've had nothing but loose bolts on mine. I almost fell into my engine bay as I was removing the EGR on the exhaust mani, I figured it 'd be hard so put a lot of force and almost fell into the engine bay.

orng1 said:
LOL I've had nothing but loose bolts on mine. I almost fell into my engine bay as I was removing the EGR on the exhaust mani, I figured it 'd be hard so put a lot of force and almost fell into the engine bay.

(rofl2)

And Kansei, how can I tolerate it? Often times I can't.

Would anyone want for me to piece together a how-to writeup for complete IM removal and reinstallation?

Sucess at last!

DSC01294.jpg

DSC01295.jpg

DSC01296.jpg

yeah isn't our intake manifold fun to get out? I had a TON of fun replacing the bolts that support the underside of the intake manifold, bracing it against the block.

For anyone that's taking their IM out in the future, a HUGELY helpful hint is to loosen the EGR pipe fitting at the intake manifold first with a 27mm non-adjustable wrench (preferably a flare nut, when your IM is ready to be removed) then take the runner half of the IM off the lower plenum so that all your left with is the lower plenum + the EGR pipe in the engine bay. Having only the lower half makes it infinately easier to navigate the IM out of the engine bay with the EGR pipe intact.

Kansei said:
yeah isn't our intake manifold fun to get out? I had a TON of fun replacing the bolts that support the underside of the intake manifold, bracing it against the block.

oh it's a little blasty blast in the words of dane cook.

Back