EDIT: Had to remove it! Fortin EVO-One install with 912 2way long range remotes

:
South Carolina
:
12 MZ5 13 CX-5
2013 CX-5, did my remote start install today. I've never installed one before, but I have done extensive stereo installs over the last 30 years, and I installed a car alarm once. ONCE. It really was pretty easy going.

Anyway, the parts I ordered were the

Fortin EVOONE912
THARONEMAZ3 t-harness
and the
Crimestopper Fortin Updater Tool

The only part of the install that was sorta confusing is, you have to update the firmware of the brain box before you start the installation. I didn't realize this, and it cost me about 15 minutes before I figured it out.

The harness was fairly plug-and-play, with only the optional hood pin (which I didn't use) and lighting controls needing to be wired in by hand.

Something else that wasn't exactly clear was programming the remote fobs. I did find a YouTube video that explained how to do it far better than the written instructions.

Something else I did, was to depin the harness of the myriad of unused wires. so I wouldn't have a rat's nest of unused wires hanging out under my dash. I don't really understand why they're there in the first place, when Fortin already knows they won't be used. To depin the unused wires, simply push down on the side of the harness with something small and sharp. I used a pick, but a sewing needle would work just as well. After you push down, the unused wire slides straight out of the harness.

So far, fairly happy. I did choose the option of Remote Start + Alarm, and I'm thinking I may go back in and do away with the alarm part. Not sure yet, I'll try living with it for a week, see how it goes.

Total cost for everything including the pair of 6000 foot two way remotes was under $300. Not tea bag.

Last edited:
Had to uninstall it today. It started causing all kinds of electrical issues with the car, big time no-bueno.

Didn't see where anyone else has had issues with the Fortin, but I certainly did. And I know it was the Fortin, because as soon as I took it out, all of the issues went away.

Back