Easiest/quickest to install cross bars for CX-5?

How easy and quick is it to install either the Thule (rapid podium/wingbar) or Yakima (ridgeline/jetstream) cross bars on the latest CX-5? It looks like most of the work with the Yak is on the initial fit and then taking on/off for a weekend is simple?

I will use a trailer hitch for bikes most of the time, but have occasional need to haul a kayak or SUP so would like to get some cross bars. It would be awesome if there was something out there that was easy enough to install that you could take it on/off for the 3-4 weekends I would use in the summer.

Appreciate any feedback on Thule, Yakima or other recommendations!

While I haven't installed cross bars on my 2020 CX-5, I've been using Yakima mounts/bars on Toyota Camrys and Venza for years. Doing the initial fit does take some time; afterwards, taking them off takes only a few seconds, putting them on takes maybe 20 seconds each. Faster with two people.

I have an older system that has four towers that clamp on to the roof top edge with a clip that goes around and in the top edge of the door opening. Once you get the setup of the tower placement and the clip-to-tower length adjusted and the bar placement in each pair of towers, you are done. Then it is only seconds to remove and put back on each set of towers/bar.

Back