E-brake issues

erikmanx

mazdaism
Contributor
:
2017 CX-5 AWD T
I have a weird e-brake problem on my 2001 Protege MP3.

I had my front and rear brake calipers powdercoated last year, and since I reinstalled them, about once every 2-3 months I will have to re-tighten my e-brake on the rear passenger side because it will start slipping.

Has anyone ever heard of this issue, or know how to fix it?

What do you mean slipping? Like, not hold? How many times have you tightened it? Yours is probably stretched out alot from tightening up the ebrake so much.. My guess would be to get a new cable and see if it still happens..

The caliper that is slipping might also have a problem with it. Every time you tighten the e-brake cable the piston in the caliper rotates out a little bit and stays there. That might be your problem.

I have had to tighten the caliper (with the hex head wrench) roughly 6-10 times so far. I believe it is the piston not staying in place. If this is the case, any ideas on how to "fix it"?

MP3 has the 14mm bolt in the back of the caliper w/ a 4-5mm allen mechanism , right? Thats what you are adjusting? Make sure that the gear teeth on that allen bolt are not stripped. That would allow the e-brake to de-adjust itself.

The caliper is definitely not leaking, and the cable is not slipping either, every time I have to trn that piece with the alan head, it has to rotate about 4 turns before it reaches the rotor.

The alan head is not stripped because I can tighten it with no effort or slipping.

As in the gear teeth, are you referring to that piece inside the caliper?

I just have to re-adjust that caliper piece with the alan head mechanism at least once every few months.

Could it be possible that what ever piece the alan head mechanism adjusts could be damaged on the inside?

Last edited:
Back