Driving Minnesota to Phoenix

joshb003

:
2011 Mazda 2
Driving to AZ to save money on plane tickets! Thinking we will take my m2, I've never taken a road trip of this distance. My fiance and I plan on taking turns and driving straight through (25 hours).

Suggestions would be great!

Josh

Better get a decent sleep somewhere, don't drive non-stop, even taking turns. Don't risk it.

I bought a car once in VA (I'm in NJ), and to save money took a bus there overnight, thinking I'd sleep on the bus, arrive early in the morning, pick the car and get back home by the end of the day. It worked, but I wouldn't recommend it unless absolutely anavoidable. There's no real sleep on a bus (in that respect, it's the same as napping in a car), and then you're falling asleep at the wheel... Risky.

Are you sure 25 hours? I made the drive AZ from Kansas City and it was every bit of 21ish and I know more than 5 hours from KC to Minnesota. It's a boring drive. At least stop for 1 night somewhere. If it were me I'd be looking for some cheap tickets on Southwest, if they fly out of Minnesota. Good luck. Not a drive I'd want to make again, especially in a 2

Yeah I'm starting to rethink it. Google maps says 25 hours, so that's what I was going off. Tickets are ridiculous, to get a decent arrival/departure time it's approximately 600 a ticket (round trip).

I did Columbus, OH to Los Angeles one time in a Miata with a guy from CA. It was quite interesting. It's doable but at some point even though you are taking turns sleeping and driving, you are just so exhausted. On the other hand I did an Akron, OH to Poughkeepsie, NY 8 hours there, 4 hours to take apart and load rotary in my Neon back seat, and then 8 hours back through ridiculous fog in the dark.....

GET ENOUGH SLEEP! I highly suggest at least one night's sleep in a hotel, in a real bed. That helped a lot on my OH to CA trip.

My wife and I did Minnesota to Lincoln, NE last summer in the 2. It actually wasn't bad at all; the seats are comfy enough to keep my ass from getting sore (a problem I have with the firm seats in our Mazda 3), and the car is quieter and a bit smoother. Don't drive for more than 8-10 hours a day, and take rest stop breaks every few hours. I would never try to drive 25 hours straight, even taking turns with someone.

My rule of thumb when it comes to long drives is this: If it takes more than 10 hours to drive there, I'll pony up the cash and fly instead.

Also, what approximate date(s) were you planning on going there and coming back? I'm seeing direct-flight tickets, at reasonable times (depart MSP at 2:30pm, arrive PHX at 6pm), for $388 round-trip per person.

Yeah, I'm leaving the prime time of Spring Break March 10th-18th that's why they are so expensive.

I have some OMP (racing seat manufacurer) lumbar support pads that velcro to the seats. They are a small pad that gives a bit of support to the back. I really find that helps on long trips as the back muscles don't have to work as much. Not as many back aches.

Pretty much any small pad or cushion will work.

My wife also has a neck cushion that she claims helps her a lot.

That much time together in a car will be a real test of a relationship. <LOL> Good Luck.

Find some good restaurants along the way. Stop every couple hours for a stretch break.

John

Take pictures of the odometer on your trip. When you fill up. :) Let's see how much you really get on a full tank :)

Back