Driving in 5th

Hey guys. I have a quick question for ya. I was having a conversation with a co-worker the other day and he said that he drives around town in 5th. I'm talking driving about 30mph-50kms in 5th gear. I told him I thought that was bad for his car and if I was him I wouldn't do that. He claims that driving in 5th gear saves on gas and is beneficial. I could be wrong but isn't that making the engine work harder than it has to? Please help me resolve this as both of us think we are right. Thanks :)

sounds dumb imo.

I usually ride in 3rd gear and coasting in neutral since i gotta hit a red light ever freaking block.

Plus if hes anal bout gas he shoudl just not drive at all.

there's nothing wrong with using 5th, as long as you're just maintaining speed, and not accelerating or climbing hills

yea i do that sometimes, i does save gas, and like nate said, unless ur climbing a hill, it makes the engine work less
once u hit a hill, the engine will bog down, and have to work pretty hard unless u downshift

wow maybe that is pushing it a little. Personally I keep it in 4th when I drive around town. rpms stay bwt 2rpm & 2.5

I'm still rather confussed on what is true. I think that if you aren't accelerating or going up a hill and making your engine labor you could be ok, but at the same time I think that 4th would be a much smarter gear to be in and have very similar gas gains without adding any strain on the engine. Just my 2 cents anyways! :)

Exactly, if he decides to accelerate for instance to pass a car, the engine is going to be spitting out fuel. Which in turn will not be saving him gas...

Back