Driver's seat airbag deployed

DeadAir

Contributor
:
2003 Protege 5
So I'm the P5 sitting in my driveway today about to double check a CEL code.

I had just gotten into the car and put the key in the ignition and the airbag in the driver's seat deployed.

The airbag light has been blinking for a couple of days, mostly when I turn corners.

Has this happened to anyone else? Was there a recall note for this problem?

I've got 116K miles on it.

I hope you are able to get a response, but I think you may be hard-pressed to get a good one. As far as I know, the side air bags only came installed on the leather seats- and I have seen very little conversations regarding side air bags and leather seats... I think the majority of people on here have the cloth ones.

That said- I have leather and side airbags, but have not heard of this issue. I do know that if the airbag wire under the seat is unplugged then the light will flash. I have driven around for about 1.5 month like this, but recently put both front seats back in to ensure my airbag setup was working.

Sorry I can't help more... At the very least you could check the wire connections under your seat and see if they were loose. That might help you determine a root cause, at least...

I have no idea why your airbags deployed but I do know that side airbags were available from the beginning. I have an 02 with cloth and side airbags.

Thank Wildo... I have cloth with side airbags.

I'll take a look at the wires and see.

What year is your mazda?

I have 2007 mazda 3 and my entire side curtain and side airbag deployed while i was driving.... mind you i didnt have an accident...

so let me get this straight... you were sitting in your car and the airbag went off in your face?

What year is your mazda?

I have 2007 mazda 3 and my entire side curtain and side airbag deployed while i was driving.... mind you i didnt have an accident...

2003... glad you made it ok :)

so let me get this straight... you were sitting in your car and the airbag went off in your face?

Not the steering wheel, the one in the seat itself. I had just put the key in the ignition, didn't turn it just inserted it and bang

don't mean to thread jack, but how do you know if the vehicle has seat air bags, will there be a tag on the seat like most other cars stating this?

don't mean to thread jack, but how do you know if the vehicle has seat air bags, will there be a tag on the seat like most other cars stating this?

Mine has a 'badge' on the side of the seat that says SRS I think...

Back