Does USB memory stick size matter with OEM stereo? Does base stereo have ext amp?

mda185

:
2013 CX-9 Touring
I just purchased a 2013 CX-9 GT demo vehicle with the base stereo and am having problems with mp3 playback from a 32 Gbyte memory card. It is a micro SDHC card that I am using with a USB adapter. The first time I plugged it in, the stereo recognized it and started playing but there were glitches in the playback that sounded like an old scratched record. After a few minutes, I tried to search for a different song and the stereo abruptly shut off. Subsequent attempts to play mp3 files from this memory card have failed. I looked in the owners manual and could not find any guidance on suitable memory card or memory stick sizes or how many folders the stereo can recognize. Does anyone here know if there are limitations in terms of memory type, memory size, and # of music folders that the OEM base stereo will support?

I am already looking to upgrade the sound system and have a related question. Does the oem base stereo have any outboard amplifier or does the head unit drive the speakers directly? I am trying to figure out where to mount amplifiers and where to tap into the head unit speaker outputs to use them as inputs to a signal processor such as Alpine H800 or JBL MS-8. If there is an existing amplifier, then that would be the logical place to start. I know the Bose amp mounts in the back. I am just wondering if the base package has a simpler amp mounted somewhere else. Thanks for any help.

I am thinking that I will start upgrading by just putting Infinity 3052cf speakers where the stock tweeters are in the dash and drive them with the OEM head unit while I determine the rest of upgrade. I have them left over from another car that I sold. Long term, I am thinking of installing a DSP unit to mate the stock head unit with some good quality amps and use active crossovers to split signal between dash speakers and the door speakers up front similar to what Bose system does. I will just run a 2 way 6.5" component set in the rear doors and see how that sounds without a subwoofer. I may also install a better woofer in the front doors and cross it over to the dash speakers around 300-500 Hz. I searched this forum and all over the internet but could not find anyone who documented their upgrade path for the CX-9 base system and reported back on how it sounds.

Back