Does a 2014 with the 2.5 engine have a timing belt?

:
Mazda, CX5 GT, 2014, wife has a 2014 Mazda3 GT
Today I was driving my 2014 CX5 and suddenly it felt like it was going to downshift. It started running rough and had very little power. I got the following messages: TPMS Inspection Required, Engine Inspection Required, and SCBS Inspection Required. The low tire pressure light and the comma in a triangle both lit up. It limped home, and tomorrow, Monday, I will have it towed to the dealer. It has about 55,000 miles on it.

I'm 99% sure it has a chain.
My wife's 08 CR-V had a chain as well as our 2000 Maxima. So if a 2000 Max had a chain it's a pretty
sure bet that Mazda stopped using belts way back.

As far as warning lights check the health of your battery.

Yes, chain although I doubt it’s related to the warning lights and limp mode. You can buy a code reader very cheap of eBay or Amazon these days. Often cancelling the code solves it.

Something is going on because it's idle is rough, and it's in the limp mode. I could barely make it up a hill to get home.

Oxygen sensors, mass airflow meters and MAP sensors are common culprits. Broken chains are often terminal.

At least try removing the bsttery cable to reset the computer. How are all of those things related? Engine inspection? Tire pressure inspection? It doesn't make sense to me.

At least try removing the bsttery cable to reset the computer. How are all of those things related? Engine inspection? Tire pressure inspection? It doesn't make sense to me.
It will run the list of checks. It’s really saying “these may not work as expected”.

I called my dealer this morning. They set up an appointment for 11 AM. AAA came and towed it and I met them at the dealership. The dealer gave me new CX5 no charge to drive! A few hours later they called to tell me it was an ignition coil, and needed the spark plug replaced. They did suggest that since they were replacing one spark plug, it was a good time to replace the others since that would save on future labor charges. By 4 in the afternoon they called to tell me it was ready. I'll pick it up in the morning. When I had a VW which did turn out to have a broken timing belt, the dealer said they couldn't take the car for a few weeks.

I called my dealer this morning. They set up an appointment for 11 AM. AAA came and towed it and I met them at the dealership. The dealer gave me new CX5 no charge to drive! A few hours later they called to tell me it was an ignition coil, and needed the spark plug replaced. They did suggest that since they were replacing one spark plug, it was a good time to replace the others since that would save on future labor charges. By 4 in the afternoon they called to tell me it was ready. I'll pick it up in the morning. When I had a VW which did turn out to have a broken timing belt, the dealer said they couldn't take the car for a few weeks.
Afraid to ask. Total cost at the dealer? :rolleyes:

Has the original battery been replaced? If not, it would be at the top of the list to prevent future inconvenient occurrences. And cold weather is approaching.

Thanks for the update. If the culprit is the ignition coil, it should cause the CEL on which you didn’t say. A code reader can retrieve the error code which indicates the ignition coil location with provlem.

VW has been using timing belt on its I4 and V6 (including my previous VW Jetta and Passat) until recent years. The 2.8L V6 on Passat has interference engine and a broken timing belt will bend valves which is costly.

Has the original battery been replaced? If not, it would be at the top of the list to prevent future inconvenient occurrences. And cold weather is approaching.
I replaced the battery about two years ago. One day this Feb. it wouldn't start. I called AAA and they came out and started it. The person who came out said that normally he'd try to sell me a new battery, but since it was an Interstate, he recommended that I contact the garage where I got it and they would replace it under the prorated warranty. That's what I did, and they did replace it. They said it had a bad cell.

Back