Do hood lift struts/dampers for 2017+ CX-5 fit 2013-2016?

:
Northern VA
:
2014 CX-5 AWD
Like the title mentions, do the hood lift struts/dampers for sale for 2017+ cx-5 fit 2013-2016?

quick search did not confirm

i see a lot for sale for the second gen cheap but not for first gen.

examples:
$55 gen1

vs

$20ish dollars for gen2

thanks, i saw that but it looks like it mounts to the strut tower bar bolt. this would interfere with my recently installed strut tower bar. so unfortunately thats a no go for me.

i like the 2nd gen ones that bolt to existing holes in the fenders. there are first gen ones that do the same but they are more expensive.

i guess you gotta pay to play.

i may just try the 2nd gen version and see if i can make it work

thanks, i saw that but it looks like it mounts to the strut tower bar bolt. this would interfere with my recently installed strut tower bar. so unfortunately thats a no go for me.

i like the 2nd gen ones that bolt to existing holes in the fenders. there are first gen ones that do the same but they are more expensive.

i guess you gotta pay to play.

i may just try the 2nd gen version and see if i can make it work
Why not email a vendor and ask directly?

Maybe you can make an easy mod and use the ones for later models.

yeah i sent a message to one of the ebay vendors, waiting on a reply. i may go out and measure it too, but im unsure if the brackets are the same. they are listing the kf hood struts as 19.05 inches.

yeah i sent a message to one of the ebay vendors, waiting on a reply. i may go out and measure it too, but im unsure if the brackets are the same. they are listing the kf hood struts as 19.05 inches.
I wondered if it might be a length issue (meaning there's nothing you can do about it), but being new to the brand, I have no idea the nuances from one Gen to the next.

I have been researching this and even bought a pair from Mikstore.ph and they appear flimsy and short compared to boot dampers and a hood is so much heavier. Today I found some on Ali for 2018 model which look as though they are more appropriate. Does anyone have both 2018 or little earlier as welll as 2022 model to compare hood weight size mounting possibility.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220916-172023_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220916-172023_Chrome.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Screenshot_20220914-112201_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220914-112201_Gallery.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 102
I've just been researching buying another pair for mine after the body shop broke one of the clips off mine when removing the hood for bad hail repair. I can tell you that mine are 46cm long (center of socket to center of socket) when fully extended - this for a 2019 CX-5.

I've just been researching buying another pair for mine after the body shop broke one of the clips off mine when removing the hood for bad hail repair. I can tell you that mine are 46cm long (center of socket to center of socket) when fully extended - this for a 2019 CX-5.
Thanks for your reply, are they beefy like the trunk dampers or slim?

You get exactly what you pay for with these small high-pressure struts. Unless they are manufactured by a well-known company, they are likely to fail on you in a short time. Just beware! If there is no name or production # cast into the main body on the strut, I personally would pass on them.

A good high-quality strut and supplier of strut kits is REDLINE. Did you try to actually contact by way of calling them and not just use the application guide for REDLINE Struts?
They have helped me a few times with none applicated installs of their product struts.

Do not leave an email address only your phone contact number.

REDLINE Call us at: 734-238-6759. Please leave your name, return phone # and a brief message.

I bought Redline struts from Amazon and installed them on my 2021 CX5. I went with Redline after seeing the cheaper offerings with country of origin and unknown manufacturer in China. I broke a clip when trying to install the first time, contacted the vendor and they promptly send me a few extra replacements.

I bought Redline struts from Amazon and installed them on my 2021 CX5. I went with Redline after seeing the cheaper offerings with country of origin and unknown manufacturer in China. I broke a clip when trying to install the first time, contacted the vendor and they promptly send me a few extra replacements.
I own REDLINE on a few of my cars.
I had one strut after a about 15 months start to get a squeaky sound when I closed the hood. Called REDLINE sent them a requested video and they sent me a new strut FREE! Now that's customer service at its best!

You get exactly what you pay for with these small high-pressure struts. Unless they are manufactured by a well-known company, they are likely to fail on you in a short time. Just beware! If there is no name or production # cast into the main body on the strut, I personally would pass on them.

A good high-quality strut and supplier of strut kits is REDLINE. Did you try to actually contact by way of calling them and not just use the application guide for REDLINE Struts?
They have helped me a few times with none applicated installs of their product struts.

Do not leave an email address only your phone contact number.

REDLINE Call us at: 734-238-6759. Please leave your name, return phone # and a brief message.
Good advice. Buy cheap, buy twice is an adage that endures, particularly with the new giant in the room.

I bought a cheap pair on Amazon and could not close my hood. Returned and bought a set from Redline. Still can't close the hood. I need to call Redline. This was on a 2022 cx5.

I bought a cheap pair on Amazon and could not close my hood. Returned and bought a set from Redline. Still can't close the hood. I need to call Redline. This was on a 2022 cx5.
I attached the link from Amazon Canada below so you can reference the part#, ours was 2021.5 CX5. Also watch where the position of bottom clip that may have caused your issue.

Last edited:
Good advice. Buy cheap, buy twice is an adage that endures, particularly with the new giant in the room.
For many things, yes. But when the Chinese ones cost $25 or less ($35 on Amazon) vs. $130, you can replace them 5 times if they break. And it's not like they are difficult to swap out - maybe 5min job, max.

My cheapies have lasted ~3years now with no issues (other than the body shop breaking the clip!)

For many things, yes. But when the Chinese ones cost $25 or less ($35 on Amazon) vs. $130, you can replace them 5 times if they break. And it's not like they are difficult to swap out - maybe 5min job, max.

My cheapies have lasted ~3years now with no issues (other than the body shop breaking the clip!)
Ok,okay, but try for a refund or replacement on almost anything on their websites and you are probably up s*** creek. Also found recently their ads can be very deceiving with no way to cancel like on eBay. Nevertheless it's hard to keep away if you hunt bargains and anyway there are very few products on our markets other than food which are not manufactured in China. Even big names. Cheers..

Back