2017~2024 disable liftgate remote on fob . 2018 cx-5

505ML

:
mazda cx-5
Is there a way to disable the remote liftgate feature on the key fob? It seems the way my wife carries the fob too often causes the liftgate to open unintentionally. Sometimes in a parking lot, leaving her expensive bike exposed to theft. Sometimes just in the garage with the garage door closed. If in the garage, it doesn't open far enough to trigger the re-close feature and should I open the garage door from the outside when I drive up, it'll wreck the liftgate.

Can the remote feature be disabled and just use the button on the liftgate to open? Or is there some sort of locking sequence the won't let the fob open the liftgate?

Protecting the fob so this doesn't happen is a whole other issue, but for now would like to know if the above is possible.

Thanks

My guess is that you'd have to completely disassemble the keyfob and try to scratch out the traces on the circuit board if you can get to it. It looks pretty much sealed. Other than than, I didn't see any settings that control liftgate behaviour.

The only other possible thing is to try to create a protective shell on the fob so that the liftgate button can't be pressed. There's a few protective shells on Amazon that might act as a basis for that.

IskiE

Perhaps a silicon protective cover with some thin cardboard strategically placed or a hard shell plastic as mentioned previously.

Is there a way to disable the remote liftgate feature on the key fob? It seems the way my wife carries the fob too often causes the liftgate to open unintentionally. Sometimes in a parking lot, leaving her expensive bike exposed to theft. Sometimes just in the garage with the garage door closed. If in the garage, it doesn't open far enough to trigger the re-close feature and should I open the garage door from the outside when I drive up, it'll wreck the liftgate.

Can the remote feature be disabled and just use the button on the liftgate to open? Or is there some sort of locking sequence the won't let the fob open the liftgate?

Protecting the fob so this doesn't happen is a whole other issue, but for now would like to know if the above is possible.

Thanks

Is she blonde?

[JUST KIDDING -- MY WIFE IS BLONDE, AND A WHOLE LOT SMARTER THAN ME]

What you're asking is a reasonable idea. I'd concentrate on shielding the fob. Unfortunately [in this case], the transmitter has a pretty good range.

Did you know that you can adjust the opening height of the liftgate? Would help in the garage, but not the parking lot. Might not be too good for your forehead, either!

Get a protective case for it that covers the button. Simple, inexpensive and problem solved.

Back