Did I brick my mom's Mazda?

Hey guys, I followed the instructions in the video below to a T (did the firmware update so my mom can have CarPlay).

Everything was going well until, right after it hit 90% or so, the screen went black. I assume the update was installed but right after the screen went black. And it's been that way for over an hour.

Not sure what to do. Can someone please help.

Hey guys, I followed the instructions in the video below to a T (did the firmware update so my mom can have CarPlay).

Everything was going well until, right after it hit 90% or so, the screen went black. I assume the update was installed but right after the screen went black. And it's been that way for over an hour.

Not sure what to do. Can someone please help.
See if you can reboot it.
Shut off the car. Turn on car. Hold down volume button, back button and NAV button for 10 seconds.
Seeing that works.
Then turn car off and on again. See if that works.
You may even need to pull a fuse
Otherwise search internet for further solutions.
If all else fails, gonna have to take it to dealer.

As a side note, I would never download anything from a youtuber. Who knows what virus, malware or file bombs they would install and wreak havoc.

Probably you had a weak battery from the beginning and that's why it failed. It's highly recommended to use a battery tender during the long update process. Car not starting got nothing to do with a brick CMU.
I would suggest to follow this guide: Black Screen MZD

Last edited:
Absolutely check the simple stuff first. Are you sure it's not just a dead battery?

Back