Diagnostics complete = SD card is invalid but map update is available

Also got a message from NNG LLC saying they suspected fraudulent activity with the SD card, asking for details of the seller and saying I should stop using it immediately although it seems to be working fine. Anybody know how much it cost to get a Mazda navigation SD card from a dealer?

Should I risk updating the card with a new map if it allows me to?

New card from dealer costs around $350.

Go ahead and risk the update, what's the worst that can happen? (Famous last words, right? lol)

I believe Mazda can catch you when you have a fraudulent SD card and try to update the map. These cards should have some sort of ID in it. Fraudulent cards could all have the same ID. Mazda can record which ID got updated to which version of map. When the same ID (another fraudulent card) comes to get update for the same map, it raises the flag... (my guess)

The guy who sold me the car bought it from new so it seems very odd to me that the card should be fake. Maybe he lost it and replaced it. I would like to see a genuine one to see what it looks like

Bought new from a dealer or from Ebay or Amazon? A card purchased from EBay or Amazon seller may be counterfeit. There seems to be more of an effort to identify counterfeit cards when map updates are being done these days.

That doesn't mean he got the card from Mazda. Who would when you could get them for 40 bucks online? That's how I got mine but it would never update. Works though.

I will never understand why Mazda even thinks someone will pay more for a so-so GPS card then an entire freaking phone with AA now that the cars have it.

Stop using it... lol... what a crock. Keep using it. Yes try to update it. I sincerely doubt they can break it... only deny you.

2 things I cannot stand about Mazda right now.
The price they try to gouge you for an SD Card... by the way the price in the US to add this on went up last year from $399 to $450.
You can buy the BIGGEST 8 INCH GARMIN FOR $350!
The smallest 5 inch one is on sale now for $99 (normally $169).
And it gives you live traffic and gas prices and a national parks directory and it will even show traffic cameras for you if the area supports it (like much of Ohio does).

Second is the marketing.
FEEL ALIVE! .... yawn.
And the new trims... specifically the PREMIUM PLUS trim. First off I hate names like PREMIUM or VALUE. But.. PREMIUM PLUS... so... it's the P P trim then?
WHO IS MARKETING FOR MAZDA THESE DAYS?

New card from dealer costs around $350.

Go ahead and risk the update, what's the worst that can happen? (Famous last words, right? lol)
If Mazda wanted to they could destroy the card since the map update writes to the SD card.
They could just write garbage but that would be a bad PR move for Mazda. Guess their best move would be to deny the update.
I have one legal card that came with my Reserve and one I bought from Amazon for my Touring.
They look identical as far as the labelling goes.

Ohhhh so you did at least get your 3 years of updates and NOW it says it's 'counterfeit'?

I purchased a 'counterfeit' (it must be counterfeit because that's what everyone tells me) card from Amazon for my Miata a couple of years ago. It's been working perfectly, just like the OEM card in my CX. I've updated it twice and I should have one more update available, at least that's what the Mazda Toolbox told me at the last update. I'll be checking for the last update just before the expiration date. I guess I had better figure out exactly when that is...

It has an expiration date?
Yes, the subscription is for three years after that it expires. When I purchased my CX the terms where three updates within three years. Now it seems that they'll allow you as many updates as possible within those three years but once that period is over, so are the included updates.

I think your dealer might have gotten it wrong, Mr Same-car-as-me. I was told 3 years, not 3 updates.

I think your dealer might have gotten it wrong, Mr Same-car-as-me. I was told 3 years, not 3 updates.

My dealer/salesman didn't know a damn thing about this.

Not only did my nav owner's manual state this (three updates only within three years) but each and every time that I updated my nav card the Toolbox told me the same thing, it counted down my updates.

I verified this in the nav owner's manual a few times since then. I actually cut and pasted the relevant text in a few threads. You're just going to have to take my word for it because I'm not going to go look for it again. Feel free though if you don't believe me...

Now, in 2019 when I bought an Amazon nav card for my MX, also a 2016, it allowed me more than three updates within the three-year subscription period. It counts down the time before the subscription expires and not the number of updates left. I actually have one update left for that card, but it seems that I may be out of luck if Mazda is cracking down on these 'counterfeit' cards.

Back