Dealer recommended transmission fluid exchange for 2016 CX-5

Ok so as a new Mazda owner is the Mazda transmission easily harmed by not changing the tranny fluid? The reason I ask is I have 3 high mileage cars in my driveway that have never had fluid changed and still operate fine.
2004 Corolla 220,000 miles
2006 Impreza 180,000 miles
2010 Corolla 237,000 miles
Also past vehicles
Chevy S-10 290,000 miles no trans fluid change
Saturn Don't recall miles but high 2's I'm sure but 2 engines no trans issues.
So why should I be worried?
Over 55 years of car ownership here. Only ever flushed/replaced trans fluid on 2 vehicles. Both of them had tranny problems shortly thereafter.
None of the cars I let run forever on the original fluid ever had issues, and I'm talking about vehicles that I kept for 200,000 miles or more.
Just my own experiences, but enough to convince me I will never replace transmission fluid on any of my cars.
Carry on.

Over 55 years of car ownership here. Only ever flushed/replaced trans fluid on 2 vehicles. Both of them had tranny problems shortly thereafter.
None of the cars I let run forever on the original fluid ever had issues, and I'm talking about vehicles that I kept for 200,000 miles or more.
Just my own experiences, but enough to convince me I will never replace transmission fluid on any of my cars.
Carry on.
That has been my life's experience also after 45 years of car ownership.

Reading this makes me worry about mine. I didn't do any change of fluids other than motor oil and I'm at 110 000 km. And I do some hills 4-13 degrees for about 10 minutes going slowly because of the rocks.. and once at the top, the car smells some burning.

Carry on.
If you had transmission issues after the fluid change, then guess what? You had transmission issues before the fluid change.

Changing fluid WILL NOT and CANNOT cause transmission problems.

I agree that drain and fill is probably the best way to go if you want to freshen things up.
Where I have a concern is these flush machines. Doing a bit of research leads me to this:
1)The flushing procedure may cause some fluid to move in the opposite direction of normal flow due to eddy currents, which may increase the risk of dislodging debris and causing it to settle somewhere it shouldn't.
2)A transmission fluid flush forces fluid through the transmission and can cause debris to circulate around and clog up parts of your transmission. That said, having it flushed can actually cause more harm than a simple drain & refill.

In both cases where I had problems, it was not drain and fill, but flushes.
I'll leave it at that.

Mazda has no recommended servicing for the transmission.
Yet.....if the head develops a crack, or the lifters start rattling, the first thing they want to know is if you have your records for oil change intervals. Which oil change frequency has notta to do with. Even the valve train noise can't be blamed on oil changes when it's very early in the engines life. Especially when it's a 'known problem' that has TSB's to address a 'known problem'.
If I was asked for the records I would immediately be offended knowing that the dealer is thinking of a way out of warranty.
Suggesting a cracked head or missing an oil change or more caused the problem.
Did Mazda offer an extended warranty on the cracked rear differentials that never made it off the dealers lots before cracking?
I have no beef with Mazda yet but them not extending the warranty on known problems just sets poorly with me. Like the two problems listed above. Plus they charged me $75.00 to install a cabin filter on my 2020 CX-5 GT. That's 3 minute job.

Latest posts

Back