Dealer installed hitch - hack-job on the bumper notch

Some more photos attached... hopefully these will show it better.
I always kind of snicker when I see a euro-style hitch...I mean, come on, look at Geoff's pic #5, in the Bible Belt they wouldn't let you in the church parking lot with that.(whistle)

I always kind of snicker when I see a euro-style hitch...I mean, come on, look at Geoff's pic #5, in the Bible Belt they wouldn't let you in the church parking lot with that.(whistle)

Ha! That's great!

It would be worse with a pair of truck balls hanging on there!

And... we're back - here's the dealer's solution cut, much better, still not as clean as the euro version... The lighting connector is on order so we'll repost the complete install after that's done... Doesn't look bad, I thought I was going to have to flip on them, but the chi is now aligned and we're feeling calm about it. Thanks to all.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And... we're back - here's the dealer's solution cut, much better, still not as clean as the euro version... The lighting connector is on order so we'll repost the complete install after that's done... Doesn't look bad, I thought I was going to have to flip on them, but the chi is now aligned and we're feeling calm about it. Thanks to all.

Looks MUCH better glad they were willing to clean it up.

CDub125,

Good to see that they made it this time better.

From now on ENJOY the CX-5 !!

Gr. Karl

Follow-up on this...

Dealer claims that the trailer lighting harness is on backorder with no delivery date available, WTF? These are new vehicles. Anyone have similar problem with the dealer and their trailer wiring? These guys were supposed to have this all wrapped up by now.

Sorry to hear that's dragged on for 3 weeks now. Hope it gets resolved soon, and you can get back to enjoying the ride...and get some confidence back in that Dealership.

Sorry to hear that's dragged on for 3 weeks now. Hope it gets resolved soon, and you can get back to enjoying the ride...and get some confidence back in that Dealership.

Thanks z-man. Hoping the same thing, I contacted Mazda directly and through Facebook to confirm the backorder, doesn't make sense unless the dealer is sand-bagging because the nut is on them... We'll see :)

Follow-up on this...

Dealer claims that the trailer lighting harness is on backorder with no delivery date available, WTF? These are new vehicles. Anyone have similar problem with the dealer and their trailer wiring? These guys were supposed to have this all wrapped up by now.

FWIW, I ordered the harness on Thursday and it came in yesterday, we still have not made up our mind on which hitch we're going to go with yet , but figured that since it was avaialble in the system I'd go ahead and order it.

I noticed also in the rear bumper its scored if you will as a template for the mechanic to cut out for the trailer hitch. Did your hitch come with that cap on the end?

I don't tow, use a hitch mostly for parking lot protection. When I saw the euro version, I knew that was the hitch for me. My wife told me to grow up.

Another botched install for a Mazda hitch, another hacked bumper

I don't tow, use a hitch mostly for parking lot protection. When I saw the euro version, I knew that was the hitch for me. My wife told me to grow up.

hitch bumper hack notch.jpg

Just picked up a new Mazda CX5 last week, and there is a similarly botched installation of a Mazda "Genuine Part" hitch. To make it fit, this dealer (in Ottawa, Ontario) also did a lousy job chopping a notch in the bumper. The chopped notch is asymetrical and looks like it was done with a hacksaw or perhaps a reciprocating saw. I see previous comments in this thread, asking why Mazda techs don't use precision cutting tools, and that is a very good question. It gives one little confidence in Mazda's Quality Assurance process (surely they have one). It is not as if Mazda is unaware of this problem (this is not instance #1, obviously).

Last edited:
That's not an acceptable install. I would be very upset. The factory hitch is supposed have a notch out, the after market hitches do not. That notch job was totally butchered, please take it back and have them fix it.

Oh hell no, they would be buying me a new bumper or whatever it takes to fix that mess.

Back