Deadlydave's Sane 2

Nice looking ride deadlydave....

Shaun.... ( would really suit being lowered )

I installed a DIY leather-wrap kit for the steering wheel on my 2 this weekend. It took about 3 hours, and I mutilated one of my fingers when I slipped with the needle. But it feels great, and looks surprisingly good good. I also chucked a cheap ball-style shift knob on--Gunmetal in color with red shift pattern engraving. Pics to come later.

Also had a chance to drive the car more aggressively this week. The step up from the 185mm wide eco tires to 205mm wide summers is astounding, though it has introduced more body roll.

I was gifted a $25 RockAuto certificate and the car was in desperate need of some more neutral handling. A much older post in the Mazda2 suspension subforum, which I can't seem to find, listed a General Motors rear lateral link, part #10409660 which has been discontinued. The New part number #2599016. If anyone can find the original(or poster) please post it so I can give them credit--I have the how-to and the part number, but stupidly did not save the poster's name.

The box. A GM 'murican replacement part, made in China.
Aaoz4MF.jpg

The Bar. A couple of things. Rubber bushings on each end mean that this will not be as effective as a fully metal bar. Different size eyelets at each end also mean either buying a 2nd set of bushings for one side, and swapping them in, or just slapping bigger bolts in. I went with the latter option, which I imagine actually causes a slightly different weight transfer rate in a left versus right hand corner. This is a free part, and an experiment. Plus, on an otherwise stock suspension, a few MM more bushing on one side doesn't seem like a lot to worry about. I can give the exact nuts/bolts/washers/spacers breakdown if anyone is interested. Per the original writeup, these were supposed to be 1/2" on each side, but obviously not the case for mine.
lD7GbWx.jpg

The beam before. Very clear where this thing should go.
xAejFn9.jpg

After exactly lining up the bar(this was actually my first step, before I bought the nuts/bolts), I left it loosely lined up with 2 sharpies, just to clearly show where the holes are, in case anyone wants to put the actual appropriate part on.
E7r6Qtm.jpg

After install. My only gripe is that I couldn't find a 7/16" locking nut for the 'narrower' side. I'm checking the car every day, if the nut starts to back off, I'll slap a 2nd one on there with a dab of loctite.
6A0Ydpc.jpg

So for about $16 at Lowes, I got this on the car. It plays very well with the stock suspension and wider wheels and tires I'm running. When I first stuck them on, the car stopped feeling like it rotated around the midpoint of the car. Sure the car was grippier, but it didn't really 'feel' the same. With this mod, the car again feels like it's turning around the mid-point of the car. It works for me, for the car, now, but when I upgrade the suspension, it will probably be a bit outmatched.

Nice cheap and easy solution. I've been running this with crazy spring rates on a Bilstein coilover setup for the last few events while I re engineer my setup. It's held up quite well. As you mentioned, not as effective as other solutions out there, but for less than $50 all in, it works, and available from any local parts store.

I used an old Autozone store credit I had. Retail on the Chinese bar is somewhere in the $24 range. Grade 8 hardware was $11 from Home Depot.

Cool torsion bar! �� I made one also out of stainless tubing.

I saw that--looks a LOT nicer than than mine, and also more effective. Props!

Nice cheap and easy solution. I've been running this with crazy spring rates on a Bilstein coilover setup for the last few events while I re engineer my setup. It's held up quite well. As you mentioned, not as effective as other solutions out there, but for less than $50 all in, it works, and available from any local parts store.

I used an old Autozone store credit I had. Retail on the Chinese bar is somewhere in the $24 range. Grade 8 hardware was $11 from Home Depot.

I'm very satisfied with it. I can't wait to get upgraded shocks/springs, which I will be buying this winter and putting on in the spring.

I just did 23 hours of overtime this week, and have roped a friend in with a new 3, so I will be placing a fair-sized order with Corksport in the next few days. Also, my lady's 4 year old Nissan Versa's exhaust just disintegrated and is being replaced, so that makes my purchase very defensible. She really loves the new 3's but can't afford one yet. If I manage to convert her, I might need to ask CS if they do 'fleet' accounts.(cabpatch)

Love that torsion bar! I wonder if anyone makes an inexpensive high durometer insert in the right size to replace those bushings.

Love that torsion bar! I wonder if anyone makes an inexpensive high durometer insert in the right size to replace those bushings.

I could machine you some delrin ones if you want. I think it's overkill but I still have the bar and the stock to do it.

pm me if interested and I'll get an idea of cost.

Delrin rear bar bushings are coming soon, Corksport Catback is going on the car today, and I'm cleaning off my winter steel wheels and getting them ready for a change of color. I think I have the color finalized to a medium green, or white. I'll try to post a few photoshops tonight, as I've already got the tire lettering colored.

Here's a pic of my steering wheel wrap and shift knob that I never posted:
t9cEgsC.jpg

This is the car with only the stock cat and resonator on it. This is what my red E30 sounded like for the majority of the time I owned it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsmKWIknxys&list=UUXi-6cOVMzfT17qQaXGoWmg

Midpipe/stock cat/resonator junction
p39Xzu7.jpg

Not for me, but there's definitely some potential for someone run a sidepipe out from underneath the PS rear rocker area. The heat shield goes within a couple of inches of the edge of the undercarriage.
inYseky.jpg

Winter wheels/tires are on. Plasti-dipped stock steelies with 'custom' center caps. Tarted up the tires some too, for giggles. looks like a little rally car now.

YPUShx6.jpg

LN5wqXY.jpg

I'm actually doing the side pipe set up next year if it doesn't cause any clearance issues. Love the wheels

About 2 weeks ago, I ran in one of the soggiest events I've ever seen. Parts of the A-X course had several inches of standing water. Everyone was running 30's and 31's, and somehow I laid down a heroic 29.7. In the end, the course dried out so I was relegated to mid-pack, even with a quicker 27.7. But there is something satisfying about having "the slowest" car, yet not being the slowest. I could use all 100hp, and the new CS springs/struts set to the middle feel perfect for 205 street tires I'm running.

I'm really happy with everything about the Corksport strut/spring combo. I was going to dump some cash into my WRX for some oiling upgrades this coming winter, but I find myself staring down the 'more mazda parts' rabbit hole. (shady)

Following some others' DIY, I pulled my engine mount and filled the gaps with Polyurethane. McMaster-Carr sells pour-able stuff in tons of different hardnesses. I went with the 94 durometer black poly, and gave it the full week recommended to cure. Cons: At cold idle, and when first slipping the clutch from a stop, the NVH increase is substantial, you can feel more vibration in the wheel too. Pros: Under hard accel/decel and shifting, i'm not missing any shifts, which was happening on occasion before. Overall, a good mod for the work/cost, though I'd recommend softer polyurethane for most street applications.

Back