Dashhawk log - Nasty KR in 3rd??

Like i mentioned with KR leveks over about 5.5 i see the same trend you show. But with KR levels below 5 the ignition timing will not follow a trend relating to it. Look at your KR levels. It well above 5 for most of that log.
Inis wierd to get KR at a cruise like that. I get some high numbers at times, but only under heavy throttle.

Like i mentioned with KR leveks over about 5.5 i see the same trend you show. But with KR levels below 5 the ignition timing will not follow a trend relating to it. Look at your KR levels. It well above 5 for most of that log.

If that were the case, it would seem logical once knock retard drops below 5, that spark advance would return to a pre-knock retard level. In my log, it doesn't. Are you implying, by chance, that it takes an initial KR jump over ~5-6 for spark advance to initially be affected, and from there spark advance follows knock retard?

Once I settle into cruise, KR is reporting 5.3 and spark advance is 29. KR then drops to 2.8 and spark advance has grown to 32. A delta of 2.5 and 3 respectively; not exact for sure. It is hard to do an exact comparison even when cruising because the spark advance will change by 1 degree here and there for seemingly no reason. KR gets as low as 2.1, but only for perhaps a single data point. The spark advance is 33 and when knock retard jumps back up to 5.6, the spark advance drops to 29. A delta of 3.5 and 4.

Also, to include another data point... here a sub-picture from a later part in the log...

knock_fest_later.png

I didn't include it, but RPM is stable varying about 30 RPM across this portion of the log. Engine load starts at 22% at the beginning of this portion and settles at ~18%.

So, in this particular log, the initial KR value is a paltry 1.1 but the spark advance drops a full 11. Now, this may however be an artifact that the load drops from 21% to 18% in conjunction with spark advance. However, that is counter-intuitive because at a constant RPM, a drop in load should generally lead to an increase in spark advance. Also, BAT drops 17F across this picture which may also be a factor.

That aside, KR drops to 0.4 and spark advance is at 27. KR then jumps to 2.5 and spark advance drops to 25. A delta of 2.1 and 2 respectively. With each decay and jump of KR, there seems to be a corresponding change in spark advance. What is odd about this log... is that at the end, engine load drops by only 1% to 17%, RPM is still holding constant, and despite the KR reading having now spiked to >5, spark advance increase to 33. This flow with the idea of less load more advance, but such a small drop in load doesn't seem to correlate to such a relatively significant increase in spark advance.

I'll certainly do some more logging this afternoon... and post back with more logs. Just FYI, I am using the calculated load PID -- I may skip logging BAT and log both calculated and absolute load as calculated load may not reflect well given the scale we are on.

3rd Gear Redo

Huh, interesting things happen when you start your pull at a more reasonable RPM, like ZERO KR... HR7 NGK Iridiums going in a little later this morning after the engine cools off.

You guys think ~10 on the AFR at WOT is too low though?

Attachments

• 3rd_Gear_Redo.JPG
    3rd_Gear_Redo.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 145
Post plug - 3rd & 4th in one pull

Nothing I consider exciting here either after installing the NGK's, which is a good thing. A little KR (1.4) in 3rd but that isn't unusual. I also cranked down on the hose clamps more to make sure they're good & snug.

Attachments

• 3rd_&_4th.JPG
    3rd_&_4th.JPG
    153.7 KB · Views: 161
Back