Damn clutch

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
Awhile ago, we were all complaining about our clutches slipping when it was colder, and when we first drove them in the morning. Now, for whatever reason, my clutch is slipping for the first 5 mins I drive it, every time I drive it. Then it's fine. WTF?

Mine does the exact same thing. It's very tempermental in the morning. Also, when I was autocrossing this weekend, it would pop out of gear at least once everytime I mashed the clutch going into a corner. And I still kicked ass!

*crossing fingers and knocking on wood* still have not experienced this ..... hope I don't....I am sure its VERY irritating!

Yeah the same thing has happened to me as well. Definitely pisses me off every morning when i go to work. At first i thought it just happened when it was moist and cooler out because it first started happening back in April or so. Guess not...

I never experienced a slipping clutch until now. I always thought it would feel like just a small loss of power like you were riding the clutch too much, but it's not. It makes it feel like you are a 15 year old just learning to drive a stick. It's all jerky.

Maybe we should start a list of all the people with crappy clutches, and complain to mazda???

Add me to the list... It used to be only when it was cold outside, now it seems to be getting more frequent when the car is first started, before it warms up. After I use the clutch for a few minutes, it doesn't seems to slip anymore.

And now the back end isn't clunking, it sqeaks like hell. It's almost sounds like poly bushings that were not properly trimmed before they were installed.

Later,

i personally don't have clutch slipage(yet), but if mazda would have had their s*** together, they could have made some damn fine cars, without all the b.s. problems that come along with it. *geez mazda, get ur head outta ur ass!!!*

I'm still waiting for my to start slipping so I can replace it with something a little better and get a lightened flywheel. No complaints with mine though, still holding pretty good.

i have the same prob. in the morning or when its cold its slips. i spilled my coffee all in my shift boot since it was so jerky!!:mad: :mad:

Clutch

Mine, as well, does this. Its been doing it ever since it was still a baby. Like it started at like maybe 1500 miles. Just in the morning. At least i know what it is now.I just keep revs up and just be real sensative with the clutch for the first like 5 mins and its not too bad. My dad drove my car the other day and was like wtf???? I have always wanted to tell him he couldn't drive a stick even tho he can, lol. But about the coffee all in the stick boot, I have to flame u on that one. Never take anything in ur car that will stain. I take water in my car and am hesitant to do even that. I guess its each to their own tho.
Zane

Wouldn't a slipping clutch make the ride smoother? Just like an automatic? I had a celica several years ago that had a problem with the clutch slipping. When I would release the clutch it would take a little while for the transmission to catch up to the engine. And if I mashed on the gas the engine would race, but the car would not move. I'm not sure how this would translate in to 'jerky' as you guys are describing.

On my 1990 Accord I had a ****** slave cylinder. Now that caused the car to be VERY jerky as I disengaged the clutch. The point from where the clutch was engaged to disengaged was so short that it was very difficult to smoothly start and shift. It sounds like this is what most of you guys are describing.

Does anyone know for sure that the clutch is slipping? Or could it be something else?

If the clutch is ****** I'd be all over Mazda to fix the problem. A clutch should NOT slip unless you guys are driving the **** out of your cars.

Jay

The clutch "studders" when you're letting off the pedal. It studders because it grabs...then slips, then grabs, then slips, etc. It's known as a "slipping clutch". And no, it won't make the ride smoother.

"A clutch should NOT slip unless you guys are driving the **** out of your cars. "

I know this...that's why I started a thread about it. THe clutches are poorly made...

Kooldino said:
The clutch "studders" when you're letting off the pedal. It studders because it grabs...then slips, then grabs, then slips, etc. It's known as a "slipping clutch". And no, it won't make the ride smoother.

"A clutch should NOT slip unless you guys are driving the **** out of your cars. "

I know this...that's why I started a thread about it. THe clutches are poorly made...

Does replacing the clutch plate fix this problem?

I'm just going by my own experience with a clutch that was worn out. It did not stutter, it actually slipped (motor would race). I experience the stuttering with a slave cylinder. Have you had your car into a shop yet?

Jay

Have the same probleme in the morning when I first start up the car. When I come back from work it's ok. Only 6000km on it.. and I don't run the hell out of my car... :(

Back