Cylinder order

Ok, I screwed up. I changed out my spark plugs and now I can't remember the order of the wires. (uhm) The "distributor" is labeled but I don't know if the cylinders are numbered 1-2-3-4 from front to back or back to front or ?? Can anyone help? My car won't start . . . and it ran before I "fixed" it!

I have a 1993 Miata MX5.

Thanks,

Dump-ass

if noone knows here you might try miata.net. i have no clue as my miata is an 01 no distributer

POSEIDON said:
Are you kidding? Notice how some wires are longer than others? Think about it.

Yes, I did notice the wire lengths but I took the wires off completely so they can go a few different ways. I am not 100% sure the cynlinder order is 1-2-3-4 (F-2-B or B-2-F) or in some other order. That's the problem. So I did think about it. It may not be starting for some other reason so I want to make sure I have the spark plugs/wires set up correctly. I also tried connecting the wires front to back then back to front without success. I'm starting to think I F'ed something else up.

Thanks for your wisdom . . .

01-11-06_1617.jpg

heres the order on my 95

check the metal bracket that holds the coils. On my 1.6 they are numbered but its really small. also i think the 1.8 and the 1.6 are dif so i cant help ya out but try looking at the bracket anyway

WildMride said:
01-11-06_1617.jpg

heres the order on my 95

Thanks for the pic, I tried that connection with no success. Is your coil bracket labeled with numbers? Can you tell me your order at the coil from left-to-right, referenced if in the driver seat.

If I connect mine like yours, it doesn't follow a sequential order from front-to-back, I think it is supposed to be sequential.

Anyway, thanks for your input.

MiaTurbo said:
Are you asking the firing order? 1-3-4-2
the cylinders are always numbered from the front of the car: nearest radiator is #1

http://miata.net/garage/ignition.html

No, I'm not asking the firing order, I'm asking the cylinder order on the engine from front to back. The coil is labeled but I don't know how to connect to the spark plugs. I know the wires are a give away but I want to make sure since I can't get it started and it ran before I pulled them off.

THanks

O.K., not to sound like a smartass or anything....but, did you see if your battery is connected? Some people usally disconnect the battery before doing any electrical work. And if all else fails: www.miata.net

TBELT11.JPG

WildMrid's picture is that of a 1.8L, therefore that order won't work for a 1.6.

kcbhiw said:
TBELT11.JPG

WildMrid's picture is that of a 1.8L, therefore that order won't work for a 1.6.
Kevins got it - but dood, you need to specify what engine you have (!) - makes a huge difference. And Miata.net should be bookmarked in your skull - like mine.

Wow...what a long thread for such a simple answer. (ugh)

Cylinders are 1-4 from front to back and the order on the coil pack is 3-2-1-4. I say this seeing he said he has a 93 and 93s are 1.6 engines.

*Didnt see the pictures, they were x's before....but in anycase the answer was found.....finally. (nuts)

Vash-

Last edited:
Back