CX9 - vs other crossovers.

You need to compare the MDX tech to the GT AWD, the sport adds a computerized suspension, which has different shocks and sensors at all four wheels, adjusting the shocks according to sport or comfort mode, also includes upgraded leather, and rear seat heaters. None of these options are offered on the CX-9 GT AWD.
A better comparision is between the MDX tech for 44,600, and the CX-9 for around $40,000.
If you are going to start figuring differences in gas, premium versus unleaded, you might also want to consider that the Acura gives you a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty, versus a 3 year 36000 mile warranty.
The third row in the MDX is good for adults 5'8" and under. However, to tell you the truth, for long trips both of these vehicles are kids only in the third row for long distances. If you want to see a joke of a back seat check out the Tribeca.
Right now they are coming off the MDX price more due to the $1400 dealer holdback.
The figures above are all based on the US market. The Acura is faster, and quicker around the skidpad, but if you are looking for more space and saving a few thousand the CX-9 is a great choice. Don't get me wrong.

Best advice. give all of the vehicles you are interested in a detailed look and test drive. Then pick the one you like best and fits your needs. Owners are biased, and the ones on here with negative opinions are actually competitors who pretend to be owners who are unhappy with their '9s.

The ones I'd look at are:
CX-9 - the most sports car like and nice features

Veracruz - Lexus elegant on a budget.

Acadia/Outlook/Enclave - Bigger, but at a cost. Nicest thing GM's made, I think. The enclave looks like the '9 from the back.

Pilot - Just kidding, it's a dated box, and Id hate having to remove 3 headrests just to fold the third row.

The only other competition are the 'Luxury' 3 rowers that cost a lot more. More than double for some. They just arent worth the extra money any more.

We looked at those too.. We actually liked the Outlook.. you get a lot for your money (many features that you don't get in the CX-9), however, you can't beat the feel and ride of Zoom Zoom.. and the room..

CX-9 is the Largest Japanese Crossover, period!

We looked at those too.. We actually liked the Outlook.. you get a lot for your money (many features that you don't get in the CX-9), however, you can't beat the feel and ride of Zoom Zoom.. and the room..

Agree. Also "Saturn" = image issues; low resale/trade-in value;
Quoting Motor Trend for the Acadia: "The biggest and roomiest...and the heaviest and the slowest." It is also the largest and tallest of the 7-passenger Crossover vehicles.

Note: Mazda CX-9 is the LARGEST CROSSOVER that any Japanese manufacturer has ever made, period. :)

An 07 MDX for $4,500 off list!!!

If I could get an 07 MDX Sport with Entertainment for $4,500 off of list I would consider another MDX (we have a loaded 03 that we have really enjoyed). Let me see, the MDX Sport/Entertainment lists at $47.8 - say $48,000. With your $4,500 off this wd bring it to $43,500. The CX-9 I drove yesterday was an 07 GT for $34k, but I wd need to add rear ent for $1,400 bringing it to $35,400. This sis still $8,000 less than the MDX. And, I am not convinced I could get $4,500 off list on an 07 MDX. If I am wrong PLEASE let me know because I have loved our MDX but with the extra $$$$ for the MDX we are planning on a CX-9 Touring with dealer added rear entertainment.

Cheers - Steve

A big one you are missing is the Acura MDX. Smaller than the CX-9, but the third seat is still usable. Tons of power, great handling, nice leather, and they are dealing on them right now. I have driven most of the above mentioned, and this week will buy the MDX.
By the way, this vehicle will be driven most the time by my wife. We needed another vehicle with a functional third row, for an occasional adult, but mostly for the kids. I was looking for safety and great handling since she is coming from a sport sedan. Size was not as much of an issue because I drive an Armada, if we need more room we just take that. So like I said it was a bit smaller than a CX-9, but suprisingly better than I thought.
If you are interested in purchasing one, look for $4000-$4500 off MSRP on the 2007, the dealers are getting a $1300-$1400 holdback. Other pluses are the best Navigation system on the market, as well as the best AWD, which is standard. Minus is premium fuel is recommended, but I have heard others not using, so figure an extra $4 per fill up.

Yes, $4500 off MSRP is possible.
MDX Sport w/ Rear DVD MSRP: $48,465, $Invoice: $43,753. Assuming you can buy one at Invoice, it is $4700 off list. This is still $6k more than CX-9. Add taxes and interest difference (0% vs 2.9%), you're close to $8,000 more for the MDX. MDX will give you a few extra electronic gadgets, but (a) you don't need them and (b) you'll hardly ever use 'em. and (c) those gadgets will be the first to go bad...and they typically tend to go bad right after the warranty. Big $$$ to repair/maintain.

You can easily get that amount off, and maybe a little more, plus qualify for the 2.9 for 36 months or the 4.9 for 60 months. Remember the dealer has a $1300-1400 holdback right now. If a dealer can't give you this deal, then he is ripping you off.
The cars are not that far apart, it is a matter of taste, and what you are looking for in a vehicle. As far as worrying about the technology on the MDX, the CX-9 has the exact same amount as long as you don't get the sport MDX, which has the addition of the electronic suspension, among a couple of other things.

If I could get an 07 MDX Sport with Entertainment for $4,500 off of list I would consider another MDX (we have a loaded 03 that we have really enjoyed). Let me see, the MDX Sport/Entertainment lists at $47.8 - say $48,000. With your $4,500 off this wd bring it to $43,500. The CX-9 I drove yesterday was an 07 GT for $34k, but I wd need to add rear ent for $1,400 bringing it to $35,400. This sis still $8,000 less than the MDX. And, I am not convinced I could get $4,500 off list on an 07 MDX. If I am wrong PLEASE let me know because I have loved our MDX but with the extra $$$$ for the MDX we are planning on a CX-9 Touring with dealer added rear entertainment.

Cheers - Steve

Last edited:
Yes, $4500 off MSRP is possible.
MDX Sport w/ Rear DVD MSRP: $48,465, $Invoice: $43,753. Assuming you can buy one at Invoice, it is $4700 off list. This is still $6k more than CX-9. Add taxes and interest difference (0% vs 2.9%), you're close to $8,000 more for the MDX. MDX will give you a few extra electronic gadgets, but (a) you don't need them and (b) you'll hardly ever use 'em. and (c) those gadgets will be the first to go bad...and they typically tend to go bad right after the warranty. Big $$$ to repair/maintain.

The problem with this example is you are comparing apples to oranges. The MDX at the top level has far more equipment on it than the CX-9 at this level. As I have said before a better comparison is between the MDX entertainment package, approx 45,600 MSRP and the GT AWD CX-9, approx 40,xxx MSRP. Even here though the MDX has a slight advantage because you get the DVD entertainment system, and a sunroof, something that can't be had on the CX-9. The CX-9 does have the advanced keyless unlocking system, so that is the trade off. Although, I hear that if you have two different keys in the same proximity the system can get a little confused.

you can't go wrong with either car. It is a matter of taste. I have bought a lot of Mazda’s and loved them all, just this time the Acura appealed more to my taste.

Last edited:
As they say, Ya gotta pay to play. There are things CX-9 offers for $6k less to compensate for Acura's gadgets. Ex: 20" rims instead of user selectable suspension.

As far as advance key goes, I have 2 Mazda's, both Grand Touring, both with Advanced Keys and there are absolutely no issues.

I am a big Acura fan...love my 2002 TL very much. I compared the MDX to the CX-9 and it was like comparing a nice shiny juicy looking apple (cx9) to a coconut (mdx).... Try putting the other 2 side by side - the CX-7 and the RDX !!! Oh my gord is that RDX one ugly duckling. Sorry Acura but Mazda is winning this time.

Gotta agree re MDX and CX-9. We looked at both in our "finalists" phase, and the Acura lacked, among other things, a useable middle seat in the second row, and a useable third row -- at all. If you've got five people to carry with any regularity, the MDX is not an option IMHO, especially if you're also going to lug some stuff around at the same time.

I am a big Acura fan...love my 2002 TL very much. I compared the MDX to the CX-9 and it was like comparing a nice shiny juicy looking apple (cx9) to a coconut (mdx).... Try putting the other 2 side by side - the CX-7 and the RDX !!! Oh my gord is that RDX one ugly duckling. Sorry Acura but Mazda is winning this time.

I am confused about your analogy, is an apple better than a coconut? One is from Hawaii, the other is primarily from the midwest. The coconut has a higher market value, while the apple can suffer from worms, and seems to be a dime a dozen. The apple is great in pies, but not as good in alcoholic beverages. Just checking.

I am confused about your analogy, is an apple better than a coconut? One is from Hawaii, the other is primarily from the midwest. The coconut has a higher market value, while the apple can suffer from worms, and seems to be a dime a dozen. The apple is great in pies, but not as good in alcoholic beverages. Just checking.

Sorry for the confusion ....after I typed it I was thinking you could take this many ways which was quite funny really. But anyway, I really was just talking about the look only....the apple has nicer colors and is more appealing to the eye than said coconut. Hope you had a good laugh...I did (rlaugh).

There is that article from Motor Trend comparing these 2 vehicles and they came up with a difference of $10,000 between mdx and cx-9. I have not run the exact numbers but any way I look at it the cx-9 has the 6-speed tranny, 4-wheel vented discs and more room in it all of which the mdx is lacking...there must be a heck of a big markup in that mdx with many fat pockets filling up and yours shrinking. The Acura dealer was right...there is no comparison (they said the mdx competes with Lexus RX350 and BMW X5). In my opinion the CX-9 competes directly with the Audi Q7 and that is it....same size and specs only Mazda kills Q7 in the price department.

Mazda CX-9 = Audi Q7 minus lots of money !!!

I do agree with you completly - here in Eu, if you want a 7 seater, you will have to choose between:
Audi Q7,
Land Rover Disco,
Nissan pathfinder/patrol,
Toyota Landcruiser,
Mitshubishi Pajero,
Mercedes GL,
Volvo CX90
and new X5.

Looked at all of them and decided on CX-9.
Audi and Volvo where nice
and new X5 was ok - but 3rd row was more of a joke.
Others did not qualified because of the boxy design.

3972689.jpg

DSCN1508.JPG

Audi Q7 vs CX-9 - Photo compare

You might be correct in your comparison with the Q7, however, a CX-9 parked on your driveway doesn't "wow" your neighbors the way a Q7 does. Then again, you wants that unnecessary envy.

Attached are a couple comparo pics.

Attachments

• Q7 CX9 Front.jpg
    Q7 CX9 Front.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 810
  • Q7 CX9 Rear.jpg
    Q7 CX9 Rear.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,130
You might be correct in your comparison with the Q7, however, a CX-9 parked on your driveway doesn't "wow" your neighbors the way a Q7 does. Then again, you wants that unnecessary envy.

Attached are a couple comparo pics.

The Q7 was, and still is my dream x-over. I love the look of it, especially the front. Though I had the hardest time justifying the 10k difference. When I bought my 2002 A4 5 years ago, I got compliments almost daily. Nothing makes you feel about your car purchase than random people asking about your car. Audi by far has the best design and warranty, but will cost ya.

One thing I never realized is that the CX-9 and Q7 rear look very similar.

What I can't stand about the Q7 is the dash, too square looking, not organic. Some of the displays look like they come out of a 1989 Taurus.

cxY

Thanks guys for the comparo pics... I tried creating my own but did not have the same angle views like the DashingMax one here. I think the CX-9 is more wow in that display myself...maybe I just like Mazda better. Here is a more flattering cx-9 picture I took at a dealer. Sweet !!

Attachments

• upload.JPG
    upload.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 363
Thanks guys for the comparo pics... I tried creating my own but did not have the same angle views like the DashingMax one here. I think the CX-9 is more wow in that display myself...maybe I just like Mazda better. Here is a more flattering cx-9 picture I took at a dealer. Sweet !!

Here's a couple pics

Attachments

• CX-9 CRYSTAL WHITE & LIQUID PLATINUM 2.jpg
    CX-9 CRYSTAL WHITE & LIQUID PLATINUM 2.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 330
  • CX-9 CRYSTAL WHITE.jpg
    CX-9 CRYSTAL WHITE.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 259
  • CX-9 LIQUID PLATINUM.jpg
    CX-9 LIQUID PLATINUM.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 255
Gotta agree re MDX and CX-9. We looked at both in our "finalists" phase, and the Acura lacked, among other things, a useable middle seat in the second row, and a useable third row -- at all. If you've got five people to carry with any regularity, the MDX is not an option IMHO, especially if you're also going to lug some stuff around at the same time.

My brother-in-law has an MDX and they have three kids (two in car seats and one in booster) and they are stuck.. They have no useable third seat.. and even when they had just two kids they couldn't get to the third row because only one of the second row seats allowed access to it..

Craig

Back