CX9 - vs other crossovers.

2 of my very good friends have the MDX. One is the older style 2006 MDX and one is the new 2007 model. For both, the 3rd row is completely useless. Even their 5 year old cannot sit comfortably in the back.

If you think about it, the difference in legroom is approx 4" inches, which doesn't seem dramatic, however, legroom is about half the height of a person. That equates to a 6'0" person sitting comfortably vs a 5'2" person. Every inch of 3rd row legroom adds up.

OK, this is not a very fair assessment. We have an 03 MDX that we have driven 51,000 miles. We have 5 kids aged 9 - 29. And, the sizes go up to 6' 3". The MDX 3rd row is only used by the 9 and 12 yr olds and their friends and it works fine - we don't use it everyday. And, the 2nd row is fine for two adults of about any size - there you have it on the size. Who above said they can't get their 5 yr old in the 3rd seat? I wd like to see the size of that kid.

I am probably going to move to a CX-9, but not because the size is a big problem for our family in the MDX. I will go to a CX-9 because it handles extremely well - similar (pros and cons) to a new MDX Sport, it is alot less $$$$ than an MDX and I like the styling of the CX-9 - I like the new MDX too, but I like the CX-9's styling more.

But the MDX is plenty big in the 2nd row and is adeqaute in th 3rd row for little people (kids). I have a problem with forums that over-adore the main object (CX-9 in this case) to the point where the members really can't state the merits or minor deficiencies of competing products accurately. The criticisms of the MDX's size are so negative as to not be credible and it makes the author's opinion questionable in other areas (unfortunately).

I am an MDX owner with lots of (real world MDX) experience and I think these opinions (on size) are largely unfounded and 2nd hand in most cases. The MDX is an incredible vehicle - the quaity is superb and the AWD is fantastic in the Colorado snow where I drive - I don't intend to go into it;s strengths as I am pointed in the CX-9's direction and i posted in aniother thread the relaive merits of the MDX vs CX-9.

The CX-9 has plenty of strngths without unfairly picking on (what I think) are relatively minor provblems with a worthy competitor's product (ie the MDX).

Gotta agree re MDX and CX-9. We looked at both in our "finalists" phase, and the Acura lacked, among other things, a useable middle seat in the second row, and a useable third row -- at all. If you've got five people to carry with any regularity, the MDX is not an option IMHO, especially if you're also going to lug some stuff around at the same time.

Last edited:
Thing is -- I"ve got kids who are 5'10 and 5'6", and whose friends are the same size or bigger, and they go with us. They can use the 3rd row on the CX-9; they could never do that on the MDX.

FiveG, you are right, the 3rd row on the MDX should only be used by little people (meaning, kids), and the CX-9's 3rd row is significantly larger - I agree. But, the MDX's 2nd row is decent for two adults.

However, you said, "The MDX lacks . . . .a useable middle seat in the second row, and a useable third row -- at all."

And, those statements are just not accurate . . .

Thing is -- I"ve got kids who are 5'10 and 5'6", and whose friends are the same size or bigger, and they go with us. They can use the 3rd row on the CX-9; they could never do that on the MDX.

OK, I'll temper it: Third row in MDX may work for little kids. But, the 2nd row middle seat in the MDX feels like sitting on a 2X4 -- in fact, when we asked the Acura dealer about it, he said, in essence, that that middle seat is simply not for any real use by anyone of any size.

MDX 3rd row is well below average.

I think the MDX 'middle seat' comment might be just a personal opinion. Well, the folks on the CX-9 forum will have a slight bias towards, well, a CX-9. If you go to the Pontiac Aztek forums, as ugly & ridiculous of a vehicle it is, there are people who love it. As they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

To support the MDX 3rd row comment, check out this article from USNews titled, Best Family Haulers–That Aren't Minivans

It says, "...The Acura MDX is a ferocious road machine–but its third-row leg room is well below average..." They created a list of CUVs in the following categories: Best Overall; Best Value; Best Mileage; Cheapest.

MDX did not make it in ANY of the categories because it did not meet the criteria for the "third-row space (a combination of head room, leg room, and hip room)".

Bottom-line: If 3rd row seat is not really needed, save yourself thousands and go with the Acura RDX...better yet...save an additional $6000 and go with the CX-7.

If performance is the only criteria, go with Subaru Forester XT. Chip the darn thing and you got yourself a nice Japanese (Made in Japan) pocket rocket for under $25k.

CX9 is the one!!!

Pickep up an 08 GT AWD loaded. We had a Infiniti QX-56 that we just lease ended. This vehicle is my wifes primary driver. We needed another 7 passenger vehicle and looked at every option out there. We had the QX-56 previously because we flat towed some quads with it because our toy hauler wouldnt carry them all. Now we have a much larger 5th wheel and towing wasnt the issue. Here's out it broke down.
It should be noted that price was not a limiting factor on our purchase. My wife was free to get whatever she wanted, and even with that she chose the Mazda.(alright)

1st choice CX-9, We still need to flat tow one of our Side by Sides, but the 3500lbs towing capacity can handle it easy enough.
2nd Enclave - Nice vehicle, if it had the same driving dynamics as the CX-9 it would probably be in our garage, but we only lease our cars for 2 yrs, so maybe by then GMC will have a Denali version with the 5.3
3rd Audi Q-7 In order to feel sporty enough, it needed the V-8 and that pushed the price up to the 60k mark. Wife didnt think that the cache of driving an "AUDI" was worth it over the Mazda
5th Mercedes GL - Flat out, too much money, and she really liked it.
5th MDX - FAST and fun to drive, nice features but TOO SMALL, and again with options it was over 10K more.
6th Both full size SUV's from Ford and GMC. She didn't want another body on frame truck, so we stayed away from them for the most part, but she did like the new Escalade and Denali XL's.
Never looked at the Hyundai, no particular reason, just didn't. It did have a awesome review in I believe Motor Trend, comparing it against a RX330.
So far she is extremely happy, and I like driving it as well, pretty damn sporty for a seven passenger car.(drinks)

Back