2013~2016 CX5 rear map lights draining battery. Not timer? Any mod possible?

:
CX-5 Touring FWD, Bose/Roof Package
Hi all,

Did some research on the forum. Couldn't really find a clear answer and also couldn't clearly find an answer in my owner manual.

I have a 2015 cx5 and my son left one of the rear map lights on 4 days ago and we didn't notice. We don't drive much these days...

I would assume they would turn off after a while with the settings in the infotainment setting menu and the front button set to never turn the light on but today, went to check the car and the battery was completely flat.

Are the rear map lights not on a timer when the car is locked and fully off? Any pointers on how to either change the lights to LEDs that won't drain the battery as much or a mod that can be done so they turn off when the car is off?

Thanks!

PS: I hope this is considered an accessory question.

Last edited:
The battery should be saved by the low voltage cutoff but you will need a good overnight charge.
You should definitely upgrade the interior lights to LED and you can find complete kits or hand pick the lights with the bulb finder most LED web sites offer. They are easy to replace.
The lights in my 16.5 time out after about 20 minutes. I don't know if this can be reconfigured but if it can be I don't know how.

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately it seems that this incident killed one of the cell of the battery. It's under warranty so I'll go change it but I'll also look for the mods you suggested. I'll have to do more research.

It's disappointing that the front map lights are on a timer but not the rear ones.....

Even the hatch light on my 16.5 shuts off. They all shut off after about 20 min. I'm puzzled that yours stays on.
If your ' 15 battery was original thats getting pretty old.

Even the hatch light on my 16.5 shuts off. They all shut off after about 20 min. I'm puzzled that yours stays on.
If your ' 15 battery was original thats getting pretty old.
Could they have changed it in 16 and later models? It was actually a brand new battery...

Could they have changed it in 16 and later models? It was actually a brand new battery...
It’s possible. I remember all interior lights and infotainment system on my 2016 CX-5 will be shut off after about 30 min. Mazda revised Rear Body Control Module (RBCM) and some wirings on interior lights, so that the liftgate light (actually the light is located on the trunk side panel on 2015 CX-5, but on the liftgate back panel on 2016 CX-5) is fused to prevent possible damage to RBCM. This change could make the timer shut-off feature to include all interior lights which may not before.

I think most of the LED lights I bought for the interior consume a couple of watts while just one incandescent map light consumes 15w.

There are some threads on interior lights.

Amazon and eBay have complete sets but it seems they might be the very pure white, 5000-6000 Kelvin. I prefer the more natural color 2700-3000 K warm white, which I bought fron superbrightleds .com.

All you need is a small screwdriver to pry off the lenses. Be sure to pry on the proper corner, which should be identified in your owner's manual.

I think most of the LED lights I bought for the interior consume a couple of watts while just one incandescent map light consumes 15w.

There are some threads on interior lights.

Amazon and eBay have complete sets but it seems they might be the very pure white, 5000-6000 Kelvin. I prefer the more natural color 2700-3000 K warm white, which I bought fron superbrightleds .com.

All you need is a small screwdriver to pry off the lenses. Be sure to pry on the proper corner, which should be identified in your owner's manual.
Thanks, I'll look into all of this!

Latest posts

Back