CX-90 Drag race

Driving fast in a straight line is highly overrated! And the problem is, these reviewers always talk about MSRP like it is the actual price you are going to pay at the dealer, when that is not the current reality at all. Given these SUVs don’t really even exist yet, my guess is the CX-90 will be significantly marked up for at least the next year

Good point about the MSRP, but that is the only way to compare car values reliably. Markup would also be present on all the other cars in this test. They are also in Canada where i think markup doesn’t really exist (i think there might be a few provincial laws against it). Dealer can sell for less than MSRP, but i don’t think they can sell for more. Any Canadians here feel free to correct me on this.

Title says it all:

Thanks for the link, been waiting on those guys.

Disappointed at the not "exciting" comment. But still, hard to complain about what is in that video. Thomas is usually pretty open with criticisms, despite just making a few comments to driving dynamics in the video, it sound like he likes the way it drives...dare I say I think they both will end up reviewing the CX90 pretty positively. Looking forward to their full review.

And their X-drive system is just amazing.

I also thought the X5 was rated at 375 HP and was just a two row SUV. The X-7 is the seven seater.
It may be hard to compare it the X-7, because you could probably buy two CX-90s for its price. The X-5 has an optional 3rd row, I think.

For the base X5 engine, it was rated at 335hp for 2023 model.
Now, 2024, it is rated at 375hp.
I tend to believe that it was underrated at 335hp.

1681758643736.png

X5 is 6in shorter than CX90.
It would be a better comparison to the CX70 with inline-6 Turbo S, which is also rumored to be around 194in in length.

Yes. BMW often underrate their ICE engines.. especially the turbo ones.

It may be hard to compare it the X-7, because you could probably buy two CX-90s for its price. The X-5 has an optional 3rd row, I think.

Maybe in Canada? I can't find that build choice on the BMW USA site. The X-7 is only 83K. (!)

For the base X5 engine, it was rated at 335hp for 2023 model.
Now, 2024, it is rated at 375hp.
I tend to believe that it was underrated at 335hp.

View attachment 318632

There is another video that compares a BMW against a Stelvio and a Maserati. The BMW is listed as being down 30-60 HP on those cars but blows them away.

I nabbed my area's first Turbo S, I got on it a little bit during the test drive from a roll. Vehicle isn't a slouch by any means. The transmission / tuning or limiting is definitely to blame at slow speeds / from a dig. Ill wait until its broken in a bit before playing anymore, but I am happy with it. Tech + power + economy combo is going to be hard to beat in this price bracket.

I nabbed my area's first Turbo S, I got on it a little bit during the test drive from a roll. Vehicle isn't a slouch by any means. The transmission / tuning or limiting is definitely to blame at slow speeds / from a dig. Ill wait until its broken in a bit before playing anymore, but I am happy with it. Tech + power + economy combo is going to be hard to beat in this price bracket.
Congrats! Very exciting. Please keep us posted with your thoughts

Here is my 0.02c after roughly a week of ownership.

Pros
Plenty of power and torque, no real discernible turbo lag, power is linear (flat torque curve beyond the peak). The little bit I got on it during the test drive has 25-75 in fast enough for a 3-row suv. If the power could be put down without de-tuning / limiting in the low gears, I would believe the 5.2/5.8 0-60. Especially if you could start out in 2nd gear as the first two gears are noticeably shorter then the rest of the gear ratio spreads. Depending on the compressor sizing there could be plenty of un-tapped power in the platform, but at 12:1 compression, there likely isn't a ton of efficient/ safe power in the oem turbo. My hope is that the turbo S has an upgraded turbo / cooling from the base turbo engine that accommodates the increased power. I understand from the ease standpoint you would want as many things shared between the two engine trim levels, but for longevity sake, more robust cooling and a turbo compressor that can support the higher airflow would be nice.

My commute is 60/40 hwy/city driving, and I could see myself easily averaging 28-30 mpg driving normally. We shall see how well efficiency improves as things break in, but this may be a case where real-world numbers are better then EPA estimates if you aren't going 75-80 mph.

The engine sound itself is awesome. Super quiet, until you get on it, then the I6 growls to life. You can hear some turbo induction noise when going full throttle too, which is always welcome. I am not sure how much of this is faked (played through speakers), but with the windows down you can tell that its not all an amplification trick.

Again vehicle feels planted and confident, I haven't pushed the handling side yet but thus far very happy with the overall driving feel. Vehicle feels more like a wagon / shooting brake then an SUV.

Cons

Thankfully I think more of my critiques are with the infotainment system / display layout, and will hopefully be cleaned up with software updates. There should be a general vehicle status page you can put up that lists everything the car has sensors for (in a configurable manner) (fuel efficiency, tire pressure/ oil pressure, coolant temp, manifold pressure, Gs meter if one exists, torque split front/rear etc.).

There is a singular page for fuel efficiency (which is fine), and if you hunt around to the maintenance page you can find the tire air pressure readout, but that is really all I could find in terms of getting vehicle status. With the way the UI is setup, it seems like they intended for things to be added down the road.

The combination of regenerative braking / clutch-pack transmission is a little jerky, but I am hopeful that will smooth out as things break in.

Back