CX-9 Known Issues?

Ace Wright

:
CX-9
Hello,

I just joined the Mazda247 forum.

I am hoping to get some advice on known issues with Mazdas - particularly the 2007 AWD Touring Edition CX-9. This one has 150,000 miles on it. The lady before me has had it since 40K miles and says her sales job is why it has so many miles. She has receipts to prove major service was done at 100K.

My questions is....

Can you tell me what you have found to be "the good the bad and the ugly" with this vehicle?

All cars have their "issues" and I am just wondering what they are with the 2007 CX-9. If it is simple maintainence like brakes and starters and such I can handle that. But if these cars have engine or transmission issues. (Particularly transmission - the newer CVT transmissions seem to not be working out for Japanese cars.) I am not even sure if that is what this has - but from about 99 on it seems like Toyota, Honda, and other Japan based vehicles are not doing well for transmission stuff like they used to be.

Any help or advice you can give me would be great!

Thanks
Shawn - Ace Wright

The known issues would be the list of TSBs (technical service bulletin).
You can find a list of them for 2007 CX9s thru google.
If you need the details, you can ask for them here. someone could send it to you.

2007 is the 1st model year of CX9. The list is of course the longest among all model years.
There were recalls (a couple) for 2007. I wonder if those have been taken care of.

Hmmmmm.....

Well I am so glad I looked things up here. Looks like the 2007 has some real issues. My understanding via a PM is that the 2009 and especially the 2010 is much better because the kinks are all out.

Any thing else?

I would say 2008+ are fine.
2007, being the 1st year model, naturally has more issues.

Remember than not all issues on TSB list will happen to yours.
They are just FYI for technicians to know if such issue occurs.
Take my 2008 for example, I have had FOUR TSBs fixed.
Three really occurred, and one fixed after I made a case nicely with the technician
even though it never happened to mine (as a precaution).

BTW, the transmission of CX9 is from Aisin (Japan), who supplies transmissions to Toyota/Lexus.
Aisin is the #3/#4 transmission maker in the world. It is partly owned by Toyota. i.e.
It is a "satellite company" of Toyota in term of auto part supply chain.
The transmission has very few issues since I join the forum four years ago.
Maybe 1 or 2 failures so far.

CVT cannot handle high torque. The metal belt will not last. I will not own a vehicle with CVT
if the engine has torque more than 200ft-lb. It is not a long-lasting tech and very expensive to replace.
It is efficient, but the newer dual-clutch auto-transmission isn't bad either. See Skyactiv's transmission
for details.

Last edited:
Okay - so let me spill the beans and see what you think....

2007 GRAND TOURING with sunroof and ALL options... but 150K miles - has receipts (they are checking to see if rear diff and water pump and other stuff fixed)

Listed at $13,900 abut they said they would $12,000 - seems like a deal. BUT the lady now has a company car and he has his. It has been in the garage for 3 months and they sound ready to sell. (taking up room) I am considering offering $9,000. What do you think?

THANKS A TON!!!

9 is too low in my opinion. have you checked bluebook value? it's not always the best indicator on high mileage stuff but you can start there.

9 is too low in my opinion. have you checked bluebook value? it's not always the best indicator on high mileage stuff but you can start there.

Maybe but as the buyer you can never be to low. They have to understand my risk and if they don't then they can counter my offer.

150k is a lot of miles. I would only buy if the price as absolutely right. I once bought a loaded 94 Grand Prix with 180k on it but only paid $2500 at auction ( around 1999 ). Had to get the tranny rebuilt but I put another 80k miles on it and it still ran fine when I sold it.

How many miles do you intend to put on it? If you are going to rack up a lot of miles, I would shy away from it. If it is going to be used on weekends and sit most of the time, then it should last you a good while. You should be able to get to least 200k miles if it was maintained properly. But how well was it really maintained? Even if she had service regularly performed on it, how do you know that she ( or someone in her family i.e. kids) didn't beat on it every chance they got?

As they say, let the buyer beware.

Since the mileage is really high, I would recommend a cylinder pressure test.
It probably will cost about $200. It shows the wear inside each cylinder.
From this test, you can tell how "young" the engine is. Mileage is the best
indicator when it comes to cylinder wear.

I've never experienced mechanical failure of rings/head gasket, etc of any of my engines, but for my 90' Jetta GLi that had like 160k miles and was starting to blow a little smoke on heavy acceleration @ high rpm. It always seems that the rest of the car falls apart before the actual internals of the engine. Water pump, water necks, alternators, compressors, window regulators, oxygen sensors, cat converters, things like that always go.

I usually selling my vehicles well before any internal poblems would ever happen in the engine (Likely Mobil 1 has something to do with it at regular intervals)

Maybe but as the buyer you can never be to low

i disagree, only because trying to severely undercut can make you look like an ass and lose respect of the seller. it's not priceline after all.

Latest posts

Back