CX-9 Hitch question

f308gt4

I've been doing some reading, and it appears that the hitch that comes with the tow package is a 1.25" hitch.

I have a hitch carrier (for a gokart for my kid) that requires a 2" hitch receiver. I think I've seen hitch adapters for this sort of thing, is that the solution?

Is a 2" hitch receiver an option from the dealer?

Why would mazda use a 1.25" hitch with their tow package?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The towing package is limited to 3,500 lbs. That makes it a Class II hitch. Two inch receivers come with Class III hitch. The CX-9 isn't built to handle that load.

The towing package is limited to 3,500 lbs. That makes it a Class II hitch. Two inch receivers come with Class III hitch. The CX-9 isn't built to handle that load.

Thanks for the info.

Interesting. I have a Nissan Frontier (4 cylinder) that is also only capable of hauling 3500 lbs. It uses a class III Two inch receiver hitch.

It appears that you can get an adapter from 1.25" to 2", but it will reduce the weight you can haul/carry. For my purposes, that should be fine. I have a hitch carrier which fits into the hitch receiver, and carries a gokart that weighs about 200lbs.

In the future, I may consider a light trailer, but again, don't anticipate that I would come near to the 3500 lbs weight limit.

I probably could have just gone without the tow package (2000 lb weight limit) and been OK, but decided it would be worth it to get the tow package for the extra cooling, etc included. It's just too bad about the 1.25" hitch receiver.

There is an adapter for 1 1/4" to 2" conversion (and vice versa). Check out the etrailer.com.
There are also FAQs for hitch classes and opening information.

I installed a Hidden Hitch on CX-9 myself. (used for bike rack only)
A 30-minute job if you have jack stand or another pair of hands.

Nissan likes to oversize thing to make their trucks LOOK like they can handle more (like those big fat roof racks that don't hold any more weight than the thin aero types), thus the 2" receiver. You an still only tow 3500lbs though, which is class II.
I prefer the factory receiver. so I put one on our Sport for accessories and wired up some basic lights just in case we need to tow a small trailer.

I just ordered a Curt hitch. I saw another CX-9 owner had one installed and it looked very nice. Very OEM looking for a 2". I saw the Hidden Hitch was a little cheaper, about $20, but have not seen one installed. Such a limited amount of CX-9's on the road I get cautious without first seeing it installed. I don't know if it is just my area, but the Mazda's still are very unpopular in comparison to the Acadia. I rarely see another Mazda.

Maybe the only Sport with a factory hitch....

Attachments

• Hitch.JPG
    Hitch.JPG
    273.7 KB · Views: 1,293
Thanks for the replies. I think I am just going to buy an aftermarket hitch, and replace the factory 1.25" hitch with the aftermarket 2" hitch.

I Installed the Hidden Hitch. They don't offer the OEM here in the Mazda Dealer in Costa Rica, because most of the mounts here are 2". You do not have to cut the bumper, it looks tough and it is easy to install. Look at etrailer.com

Attachments

• 100_888.jpg
    100_888.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 585
Back