2016~2023 CX-9 Brake Life

I have to say that I've never had brakes last longer than on my CX-9. And I am not a gentle driver! My front pads wore out first at 107,000 miles. I went ahead and had front and back done. And I didn't have new rotors or have rotors turned. They looked and felt fine to me. 155,000 and still going. So I'm definitely a believer in OEM Mazda pads and rotors.
Talk to us once you reach 80,000 miles and see how many rotors & pads you've gone through!! lol.
I can't speak for the newer cx-9's, but i can speak for the V6 models which are heavy vehicles with small brakes and they eat brakes all the time.
I'm always envious when I see some soccer mom driving a Dodge Durango with Brembo brakes (true story).
No Brembo packages made for cx-9's. I would've upgraded if I could have.Bringing this one back...
Bringing this one back from the dead...

Wife said her brakes were making a noise so I checked them, they do have 158,000 miles. Pulled the fronts off and there was still enough pad that the line down the center was there. I decided to change them since I was there and winter was coming - no reason to work in the cold!
Unreal that they could last this long, I don't know how they do it.

Come to think about it, my CX-9 made it to 57K miles without a brake job (car was totaled so no idea how long it would last). The tires even made it to 51K, which is pretty good for OEM tires.

I bought my CX-9 used 5 months ago with odometer 21864. I took my 2019 CX-9 for an oil change the other day and was told by the Mazda service I needed rear pads (4mm) and resurfacing of the rotors. I was surprised as I've only driven it just under 5k and most of that being highway.

I bought my CX-9 used 5 months ago with odometer 21864. I took my 2019 CX-9 for an oil change the other day and was told by the Mazda service I needed rear pads (4mm) and resurfacing of the rotors. I was surprised as I've only driven it just under 5k and most of that being highway.
Either the previous owner ran it hard or the dealership is exaggerating the need for replacement pads. Take it to your local mechanic and see what they say. Unless youv've lost stopping power or feel vibrations during braking, you probably dont need to have rotors turned yet.

75,000 + is quite achievable unless you drive in the mountains. I got ~ 85,000 miles on my 2014 CX5. I forgot which end went first but, did all at the same time.

I changed my rear pads at about 77k kms (almost 48k mi). Three of the pads were at about 3mm , with one inner pad closer to 2mm. I live in a pretty flat city, but there is a lot of stop and go traffic in my daily commute, and I can be pretty hard on the brakes sometimes. Front pads still have tons of life left in them.

75,000 + is quite achievable unless you drive in the mountains. I got ~ 85,000 miles on my 2014 CX5. I forgot which end went first but, did all at the same time.
Either the previous owner ran it hard or the dealership is exaggerating the need for replacement pads. Take it to your local mechanic and see what they say. Unless youv've lost stopping power or feel vibrations during braking, you probably dont need to have rotors turned yet.

I was thinking the same with getting a second opinion because they feel normal to me, strong and responsive. If need be, I'll replace the pads.

Rears could go faster if you ride cruise a lot. Not 100% sure if Mazda does that, but it is pretty common for a cruise to break on the downhill to stay on the set limit. I don't think there is any other option for a gas car.

I drive like a douche with hills and curvy roads. 26k miles and rear pads were close to shot, fronts still had probably 33% left. Now I'm at 43k miles and everything is better. Gas prices changed the way I drive and magically my pads have plenty of life left!

Own cx 5 2014 @160k & CX-9 2016 @ 110k. 80% highway /20 city

With the removal of the OEM around 40k it had decent life left to 50k for sure.. 100k don't think so.

I switch to WAGNER OEX and it wear down much faster. To be safe I don't push it to 40k, I do it around 35k. I am going to switch to RAYBESTOS Hybrid next.

OEM I checked was $100 vs RockAuto $20-36.... I always have a set and when I remove my tires to do a check, if it is bad... I'll just replace it

My front wear much faster then back in my cx 90, about 15k. This is fine I guess, since sometimes in life doing all 4 brakes is a pain.

I keep a detail chart on all my repairs.

I don't consider myself a heavy foot (both gas and brakes). Just checked at 26k km and front's have 9mm rears have 7mm left. This is 90%+ city driving in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

2016 CX-5 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3KE******866136 (produced before September 9, 2016)
2016 CX-9 vehicles with VINs lower than JM3TC******120519 (produced before September 15, 2016
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10129575-9999.pdf

The rear inner pads may wear very rapidly due to the mis-designed calipers failing to release the parking brake fully. Always get both rear pads examined for thickness when the brakes are checked--the rear inner pad is not easy to see. If you have one of the cars above expect to have the privilege of buying new-design rear calipers when the too-soon brake job is due.

My latest experience is that pads gets out silently on CX-9. No squeaking. Our friends' car got front/rear completely out unnoticed and had to replace rotors as well. Breaking performance was very bad until they fixed it. If non-technical person drives the car it could take some time to notice and drive an unsafe vehicle (

In my case rear pads went out unnoticed, ended up with rotors replacement :( A job done by a friend mechanic, that can resurface rotors if possible. It was too late in this case.

The Mazda pads do not have squealers built in to warn when the friction material is getting very thin. All 8 pads need to be visually inspected for thickness at each tire rotation. Ask for the actual thickness in millimeters, not just a guess at the percentage remaining. 2 or 3 mm is a good minimum thickness. The inner rears are hard to see, but they must be checked along with the others.

I posted in another one with photo. First set of OEM back lasted 72k, 2nd Wagner OEX 28k. Switch to Raybestos eht1934H. If poor life, I'll try oem again. Last time I checked oem was over $100. My Raybestos are $19. BUT dealing with the whole ebp system is such a pain if I have to do it twice as much

Back